Neighbor lost insurance coverage!

/ Neighbor lost insurance coverage! #22  
The sensible thing would be to end our for-profit health care system, but good luck getting that one past the lobbyists.
And who would administer it? The government? Yeah, they're so efficient and competent. 😡

/ Neighbor lost insurance coverage! #23  
And who would administer it? The government? Yeah, they're so efficient and competent. 😡
Works so well for the VA, as well as in Canada and UK.

The solution isn't to remove the profit motivation, that is what drives improvements and breakthroughs.
The answer is to do away with the "for-profit" lobbying that goes on.

/ Neighbor lost insurance coverage! #24  
He is getting his original insurance back. I am not for sure but I think the people at the Social Security Office had something to do with it. As I said earlier I am trying to stay as far out of this as I can.

RSKY
Well, YAAY-Y !

/ Neighbor lost insurance coverage! #25  
The Internet allows me to read a variety of European news papers and problems in their health care systems are a common theme.

Before The Virus was running around, the time to get "elective" surgery in Ireland was 6-12 months. Now it is 18-24 months. There are constant reports of hospital over crowding with people sleeping in beds in the halls along with long waits for ER service. Yet, they are closing down some ERs and hospitals. People travel overseas to get treatment because there simply is no treatment for some conditions or the wait will kill the patient. One child had a spinal issue that forced her into a balled up position so she could barely breathe and eat. Her surgery was considered an elective and the family had to raise money to have a procedure done in Turkey. Some of the overseas procedures turn into nightmarish outcomes and even death, thankfully, this little girls procedure was a success.

One of the stories was a man in his 80's who had a cyst under his eye. He tried many times to get treated but always was sent home. Eventually, the cyst was so bad he could not see out of his eye. At that point, a newspaper got involved and the cyst was removed. Now, I am not a doctor, nor did I stay at a certain hotel last night, but I have watched enough Doctor Pimple Popper to think I could have removed that cyst. The guy likely would have had a scar, but when one is over 80, who cares! 😁

A huge children's hospital is being built in Dublin, which is way over budget, and they have no clue as to how much it will finally cost but it will be over 2 billion Euros from an estimated 650 million Euros. The planning and construction has been on gong for 16 years and the building is only 80% complete at this point. They really have no idea on the final cost and it sounds like it will take years to resolve and be decided in the courts.

There are nurse and doctors shortages due to over work and lack of pay. People may think overseas health care is better but it is not, they have there own set of problems.

Some interesting facts about immigration to Ireland. If we, as US citizens immigrated to Ireland under a Retirement visa, we would have to prove via a chartered accountant that we have income of 100,000 Euros, 50,000 Euros each, AND we have private health insurance. Ireland currently has a 20% and 40% so they want the high income to tax to pay for their society, and surprise, surprise, they don't want immigrants to take up health care resources they have not paid into. Furthermore, we would not be able to access some government benefits an Irish citizen could. Which is how it should be done.

/ Neighbor lost insurance coverage! #26  
I may be bias as I have been in the health insurance industry for 36 years and my wife works at hospital in a leadership with 49 years to date.

I deal with a lot of seniors, and I am one also. I have clients born and lived in several other nationals and while they may say there is no cost the coverage when you can get it is very limited. I don't know but do know no plan is perfect. I also know in many areas the US Medical industry brings many breaks throughs.

As to the VA being great...it is my impression it is better than it was, but I have several VA covered people who buy additional coverage (FYI Medicare Advantage Plans) to supplement their VA coverage.

As to the comment about how a Medicare Supplement is Better than a Medicare Advantage Plan. that is a broad conversation. I have been on both and for me and many of my clients will tell you it is best for them. Now there are some people we strongly recommend a Medicare Supplement to them due to their health or travel or such. I will say comparing the two product is sort of like comparing a Car and a Pickup. Both will get you there, but both will haul the load differently. As I will agree with some coverage is better than no coverage and when I see a Medicare Supplement that is over $400 per month, most people cannot afford such. Then must add drug coverage, and MOST Medicare Advantage Plans include dental, vision and other services that are hard ot buy on as a standalone. What is most important is the agent learn the person to give a full recommendation. I can tell you a call center is very unlikely to do such.