New Holland vs Kubota

/ New Holland vs Kubota
Can anyone tell me where the tc series is made? Who makes the engine? I'm still considering the tc21b vs tc18 issue. Did get a quote for the green tractor (2100) for about the same as the tc21b w/ same features hydro, ps etc.

/ New Holland vs Kubota
The previous should read model 4100 not 2100.

/ New Holland vs Kubota #14  
Bird,
Regarding the 5' rotary, you refer to blades, do most have more than one? I ran into my neighbor tonight and he said this old beast only has one blade under it and it shook a lot. It's his dad's rotary that he gave to him and I think he only tried it once or so. JimBinMI

/ New Holland vs Kubota #15  
JimBinMI, All the "lawnmowers" and finish mowers I'm familiar with have a solid blade, or blades, with a hole in the middle that attaches to the spindle, i.e., one blade with two sharpened ends. However, every brush hog (rotary cutter, shredder, or whatever name they use) that I've seen actually have two separate blades; outer ends sharpened for cutting and inner ends bolted to a plate (disk, pan, stump jumper or whatever name they use for that) which is, in turn, mounted onto the spindle. That allows the blades to swing instead of being one solid blade all the way across. They are much thicker and heavier than lawnmower blades, generally not sharpened as sharp as a lawnmower blade, and they can swing back when they hit something solid and go on around instead of stalling the tractor or shearing a pin. Of course, the extra weight and swinging design allow them to take advantage of the centrifugal force to keep turning. Each blade on my 4' Bush Hog weighed approximately 5.5 lbs. when new. I know some folks who sharpen theirs without removing them from the pan, but I always remove mine and then make sure they still each weigh the same after sharpening.

Bird

/ New Holland vs Kubota #16  
A very good explanation Bird. I didn't know you were using a 4' cutter on your 2710. Did you make that choice, or was it the one left over from your smaller Kubota?

Steve Carver generally discourages it, but my 5' cutter works great on my 2710. It still amazes me how it performs under tough conditions, backing up under trees where there is thick brush, uneven conditions, and it still cuts the pasture grass prettier than I would have imagined.

The blades on my cutter weren't very sharp at all even when new. Now they have a few dings in them from running over chains (that I laid on the ground)and running over the guard. And they haven't sharpened up any either.

Of all 3 implements I own - cutter, finish mower, and box blade (not counting loader), I use the cutter the most, and also appreciate it the most.

/ New Holland vs Kubota #17  
Alan, I used the 4' Bush Hog for the example because I had sharpened those blades several times and weighed them. But when I bought the B2710, I traded it in on a 5' Howse that I'm using now (I wouldn't want anything smaller than a 5' for the B2710), but I haven't had to sharpen the blades on it yet, so I haven't had them off or weighed them yet.

Bird