New T264 owner!

/ New T264 owner! #1  

acarter1992

Tractor
TYM T264
Hello,

New to the forum and I just picked up a used 2019 TYM T264 with 80 hours. I'll be using the tractor for commercial work, I own a small asphalt sealcoating company and we're expanding into repair work next year, so the tractor will be used to do some tear outs on patch jobs and loading unloading stuff on the property and I'm sure it will find other uses. It will be pretty light duty commercial work, but probably way more abuse than the average homeowner puts one through.

It came with the standard bucket, loaded tires, and a 3pt hitch weight box. I ordered a second loader bucket and a set of weld on teeth. I was going to get a tooth bar, but it only cost about $400 more to get the weld on teeth and second bucket, it will be much quicker than bolting on the bar every time I want teeth. Also have a set of pallet forks waiting for me to pick up at the local dealer.

I used to own a Kubota BX25 (tiny, but mighty), so this is quite a bit larger with a lot more capacity despite the same HP rating. I've run lots of machines, from big stuff, to little stuff, skid steers, tractors, etc... and this thing seems pretty good for the few hours of run time I've put on it so far. It's definitely not the fit and finish or build quality of a Kubota, but I think I'll be happy with it for the price point.

So, of course I've got some questions....

1. Anybody know what size the lower radiator hose is? I'm going to get one of those coolant heaters (cold Maine winters...) and I'm guessing its 1.5", but I won't be home for a week or so and want to make sure I order the right size.

2. I really hate the fact that you can only operate one loader function at a time, meaning you can't lift the loader arms while dumping the bucket, or vise versa. One work around when lowering is to "float" the arms while returning the bucket to level, but that obviously doesn't work on the way up. I realized this when I went to looked at the tractor and almost didn't buy the dang thing because of it, I've never run a machine that was like that except for some real old farm tractors from the 60's. If the price wasn't so good in this crazy seller's market I probably would have walked away. Is there any realistic way to change it to dual function like literally every other machine out there? I'm guessing the control valve assembly could be replaced with one from another brand, but that may be more work that it's worth. I'll have to see if I get used to it.

3. Anybody know what the idle RPM is? paged through the manual quickly and didn't see anything (probably missed it). It idles at 1500 rpm which seems really high. Easy to adjust, but if that's the manufacture spec then I'll leave it alone.

4. It seems that people are in general pretty happy with their TYM's, but they aren't without their problems. This tractor is most likely a stepping stone to something larger in 3-4 years (or I upgrade and keep this one for around the property) so I'm not too worried about 10 years down the road, but I also need it to work so I'd like to keep it mechanically 100%. Are there any common issues with this model that I should be looking out for, or things that I should replace before they become an issue? I've read about the loader control cables, but that seems to be more on the older models? Driveshaft issues seemed to be on the older ones as well?

5. I don't have any PTO implements nor am I planning to get any in the near future, but it does seem to make a rather load noise when you engage it. Hard to explain, but it doesn't sound right. The previous owner said he never used it so he wasn't sure. I haven't even taken the plastic cover off to see if it spins, but I figure if something is wrong with it I can have the dealer fix it this winter because it's still got quite a bit of warranty left.

Not really a question, more of a comment. But when I looked at the tractor the control levers (PTO, range, and 4x4) were all kinda stuck together. Meaning that when you put it in 2 wheel drive the range control would move back as well. They share the same hinge pins down by the trans and they were basically seized together from lack of lubrications and/or function. I mentioned it to the owner and he said it was like that from new and he though you couldn't use 4x4 in high range and 2x4 in low. After I got done trying not to laugh at him, I explained what was going one and he didn't believe me.... 15 minutes after I got it home I got it all free with some PB blaster and cycling the levers back and forth. Obviously the dealer sucks if that's how they delivered it...

I've only got a few hours on it, but so far for the price point it seems like it will do the job. Just a few things I've noticed so far:

1.Not sure I'm a huge fan of the "auto throttle" (or whatever it's called) when you press the forward or reverse pedal at low RPM's. Easy enough to disconnect though if I don't get used to it.

2.I kinda hate that the 2x4/4x4 control lever is a catch point when getting on and off the tractor on the left side, seems like that could have been placed at a better spot, I'll probably cut it down so it's closer to the plastic housing, would still work fine at that height.

3. The sloping down hood and loader arms (the front of the tractor) really helps loader visibility, this is definitely something TYM got right compared to other similar sized tractors of other brands.

Last edited:
   / New T264 owner! #2  
Congrats on your TYM ownership, the T264 is a mighty little giant fer sure. The bucket problem, try running it at higher rpm when doing loader work (1800-2k rpms). This tractor has a dual gear pump with 4.4gpm for the hydraulic system and 2.7gpm for the power steering. I have a 2019 T474 and I have 140h on it, I use it for side jobs mowing large fields for clients etc. Main purpose was for snow removal in the rockies and forest work and property maintenance.

/ New T264 owner!
Congrats on your TYM ownership, the T264 is a mighty little giant fer sure. The bucket problem, try running it at higher rpm when doing loader work (1800-2k rpms). This tractor has a dual gear pump with 4.4gpm for the hydraulic system and 2.7gpm for the power steering. I have a 2019 T474 and I have 140h on it, I use it for side jobs mowing large fields for clients etc. Main purpose was for snow removal in the rockies and forest work and property maintenance.
Thanks! wide open throttle and you can't do dual functions unless you very carefully have both moving just a little bit. You can't just jam the lever diagonally and send fluid to both functions like most machines out there

/ New T264 owner! #4  
acarter, FWIW, my 2009 273 - I bought new and it's always idled at approx. 1100 rpm's. I've never thought about it until I saw your question and then went to use mine yesterday. Of course, mine only idles when warming up, engaging pto, hooking/unhooking implements, etc., etc. When I'm using it, it's always at full rpm otherwise.
Inside width of my lower radiator hose is 1 3/8"
Congrats on your new tractor! I've been pleased with mine ever since getting it. Whatever problems I've had thus far have been able to be fairly easily repaired by myself. Enjoy. Greg

/ New T264 owner!
acarter, FWIW, my 2009 273 - I bought new and it's always idled at approx. 1100 rpm's. I've never thought about it until I saw your question and then went to use mine yesterday. Of course, mine only idles when warming up, engaging pto, hooking/unhooking implements, etc., etc. When I'm using it, it's always at full rpm otherwise.
Inside width of my lower radiator hose is 1 3/8"
Congrats on your new tractor! I've been pleased with mine ever since getting it. Whatever problems I've had thus far have been able to be fairly easily repaired by myself. Enjoy. Greg
Thanks! I ordered a 1 1/4" heater. We'll see if that fits. Glad to hear your happy with your machine!