New Toolcat - any suggestions on rotary cutter

/ New Toolcat - any suggestions on rotary cutter #1  

theoshin

Silver Member
Tractor
2006 Toolcat turbo
Well i bit the bullet and bought a new loaded "c" turbo model for
home maintenance - 180 acres in North Central Wi with a long, curved driveway
and multiple buildings. 5 miles of gravel wood roads, ect.

I bought the 84" rotary broom, a 72inch high flow snow blower, and a 68"
low profile bucket from the bobcat dealer. So far so good.

Very useful and stought machine. Great turning radius - handy around the house. Not as comfortable over the rough stuff as my cx85 mccormick tractor (air ride seat and 16.4 ag tires). Much more versatile than the tractor - which is for sale.

Question - any advice on a rotary cutter for 5 miles of graveled woods roads and 5 acres of pasture/food plots. roads mix of gravel/small rocks and grass.
was going to buy the 60" brushcat but feel that a cutter wider than the toolcat would be better for cutting the woods roads. Otherwise the tooldat may take a beating from the brush along the roads. the new 72 brushcat is not "approved" for the toolcat b/o weight. erskine makes a 72 inch at around 1500 lbs. the brushcat 60 is 1700 and 72 1900 lbs. Any advice would be appreciated. i currently cut the roads/pastures with a 7foot rhino behind the tractor. needed better snow removal so out goes the tractor and in the toolcat. brush is also great for cleaning off the long driveway as pine needles drop constantly.

thx
theodore

/ New Toolcat - any suggestions on rotary cutter #2  
Theodore,
I own the 5' version of this rotary cutter...https://www.storesonline.com/site/1286901/product/SL601
I love it...I cuts grass, weeds and trees very well up to 4-5 inches thick. As you can see, the weight is only ~1250 lbs. I demoed the BC Brushcat in comparison to this model and this Direct Drive model has much, much less vibration and no hydraulic backflow issues when compared to the Bobcat model. The Bobcat model does offer some advantages (the rear tapered roller and linkage floatation) but the cost and weight savings make up for this and more IMO. Also be sure to check out the Rockhound Flail cutter...it is a steal at its listed price when compared to other flail type mowers. http://www.rockhound.com/72F Mower.pdf
Steve

/ New Toolcat - any suggestions on rotary cutter #3  
Theodore,

I currently use the 72" finish style mower. I use it to mow around the buildings, fence lines, ROW and pastures. Works very well. I will be switching to a 90" finish style which will give me more clearance for the Toolcat as well as a center wheel to reduce scalping.

I am selling a JD 4010d with 7' Woods rotary cutter that I previously used for mowing. For the type of mowing I listed above there is no comparison. The floating mower on the Toolcat provides a 5.5" cut over all of the terrain.

If your mowing needs are more maintenance versus clearing I would recommend you take a close look at the 90" finish style. I cut off an occasional 1" sapling or multi-floral rose bush with the 72" but would not feel comfortable using it to clear an area full of that.

dsb

/ New Toolcat - any suggestions on rotary cutter
thx
i was planning on buying the 72inch mower for around the house/driveway and
a heavier mower for the fields and woods roads. the near finish could mow the grassy areas in between rough cuts on the woods roads.

any disadvantage to the 90 over the 72 inch? is it more difficult to control around buildings,ect? the one fear i have is that my woods roads are elevated between the wheel tracks and it may scalp more than the 72? They also have gravel in all low spots and little branches are constantly falling onto the road - solid maple hardwood forrest with mixed pine.

also, can the 90 be run with high flow?

thx
theodore

/ New Toolcat - any suggestions on rotary cutter #5  
Theodore,

I have not used a 90" mower yet, not available for rent in my area. I have mowed areas with the 72" where it did scalp. I don't believe that would happen if I had a center wheel which is standard on the 90" but not an option on the 72".

Due to the additional width beyond the Toolcat I think the 90" would be better for mowing around buildings and along fencelines. In all wheel steer with the 72" mower your front wheels will drive off the cut area when turning. That should be reduced or eliminated with the 90".

Both mowers are listed at 15-22gpm. I am not sure how that works with a high flow machine.

dsb