New vege garden on pasture using new method ? Will this work.

/ New vege garden on pasture using new method ? Will this work. #1  

greggyy

Gold Member
Tractor
Compacts
Hi All.

I have been looking at the implements required to do a vege garden in the old way, i.e turn all the soil over and work it up and down etc, much the way farmers do crops, just on a small scale.

On my place near everywhere has a slope of some kind or grade, from minimal to steep, so I was already thinking if I kill off pasture and turn soild over, if it rains, a lot will just be washed away as we do get heavy downpours at times, then when you look at the cost and ask prices even on old implements, or how poorly made many new ones are, then when you also consider my soil is rocky and in places may be solid rock not too far down, it had me thinking, maybe I should do things another way, also, the pasture is established and I do have livestock on it.

Because I am down under, we are coming up for winter, and we do get frosts and nights are often zero or below in a few months, so I was also then thinking, maybe I can grow and keep the pasture & maybe I can do it with what I already have.

I have compact tractor and have a single tyne ripper, I also have a really heavy old hay rake where the tynes and weight will easily scratch up the surface to allow water in etc.

Am only thinking of a small patch to start, maybe 30ft by 15 or something, so was thinking of using ripper to rip about 30cm down for the 30ft in say 5 rows, this will leave soil un turned, then could scratch top of pasture enough so it will allow more water into surface, but again without turning or killing off all pasture, could then plant seeds either along the ripped area, or next to it, or dig out small bowls along the rip or next to it, I am thinking of cauliflower, brocolli, carrot, maybe potato...

My thoughts are soil is sloped slightly, it will never get water logged, it has rock and sandy clay type soil, I could probably use compost or other and could manually keep pasture at a lower height if needed, in another paddock I only get about 4 or 5 inch height if left for 2 months, so it is not going to get taken over from the pasture varieties. I am not growing commercially, so the result does not need to be perfect, I cant see there being too much competition, and when harvested, it is still pasture that can be cleaned up by animals and or re used.

For thing s that mainly grow above surface this should work, for those under, maybe it will be too hard to harvest.

So, what do you say ?

/ New vege garden on pasture using new method ? Will this work. #2  
Sounds a lot like what we call in the U.S. "no-till" or "minimum-till" farming methods. My advyce is to try it and see how it goes. Worst that can happen is you'll have to buy your vege at the store.

/ New vege garden on pasture using new method ? Will this work.
Sounds a lot like what we call in the U.S. "no-till" or "minimum-till" farming methods. My advyce is to try it and see how it goes. Worst that can happen is you'll have to buy your vege at the store.

Yeah, I think this is the term, and I am trying it, will see what happens, I am planting right into grazed pasture, scratched up with a rake first, I will leave it being grazed till germination, my only concern so far is that the rocks will make root veges odd shapes or stop roots etc, but that wont matter most likely as not looking to sell.

My stock grows quick on the terrible looking pasture, so they are getting something good from the soil, but I added a small amount of fertilizer before I posed this question, if it fails, I have good cover crops or feed.

If it does fail miserably, or maybe I will do this on another smaller test bed, I will make some rows by just running the ripper down in rows first without turning soil, the whole idea was because I do not want lots of bare soil or kill off all the pasture that has been there for a long time, you can tell I have not been an ag farmer, as everything I want to do is the exact opposite of what any local would tell me to do & what all the rural stores tell you to do....

When I go to buy things, I am asked what am I doing ? I do not want to answer, cause I know what they all are thinking and will advise. Old habits die hard...is true.