NEWBIE HELP MF 135 Lift cylinder cracked

/ NEWBIE HELP MF 135 Lift cylinder cracked #1  

Romel68

Tractor
MF2135 Ford 9n/8n Frankentractor
Long time listener first time posting. I appreciate all the help this forum has offered, great resource. I have a 2135 industrial that had lifting issues through the side cover i observed a waterfall of hydraulic fluid so I took off the lift cover to investigate. I found the draft spring being very sloppy and in need of a new boot. Then with the cover off i saw that the lift cylinder was cracked hence the waterfall. I am wondering if this is straight forward of a replacement ( i do have a full service manual to follow) or is there adjustments that need special tools listed that might be better letting a service shop work on. I am afraid that after the replacement that the underlying problem that caused the cylinder to crack in the first place will still be present. Thanks for any input

/ NEWBIE HELP MF 135 Lift cylinder cracked #2  
The most common cause for the lift cover cylinder cracking is that the relief valve on the hydraulic pump was stuck and allowed the system to over pressurize. I would encourage you to replace the relief valve, it is on the pump and easily accessible when you fix the cylinder. There are multiple relief valves so you will have to post some photos once you get the tractor opened up.

/ NEWBIE HELP MF 135 Lift cylinder cracked #3  
Long time listener first time posting. I appreciate all the help this forum has offered, great resource. I have a 2135 industrial that had lifting issues through the side cover i observed a waterfall of hydraulic fluid so I took off the lift cover to investigate. I found the draft spring being very sloppy and in need of a new boot. Then with the cover off i saw that the lift cylinder was cracked hence the waterfall. I am wondering if this is straight forward of a replacement ( i do have a full service manual to follow) or is there adjustments that need special tools listed that might be better letting a service shop work on. I am afraid that after the replacement that the underlying problem that caused the cylinder to crack in the first place will still be present. Thanks for any input
I haven't done it but it's a common component so I doubt there is some special trick to it. You shouldn't require any special adjustments but as long as you are that deep in it, you might check the adjustments for the lift system control valve. The bigger question is what caused the failure.
As the other poster said, it could be a stuck relief valve. The dynamic loads when there is an elevated heavy implement on the 3 pt and you are driving across a rutted field can see some large pressure spikes and the relief valve is supposed to pop open to cut those off.

/ NEWBIE HELP MF 135 Lift cylinder cracked
I have looked over the manual and there are some adjustments that require special tools (dashpot wedge mf270b) and requires to hang a 3# weight for another adjustment.The crack is very straight from front to back. I am assuming that the crack might of been water related the hydraulic fluid was milky when I changed it last year.