no loader down force

/ no loader down force #1  

Kep1a

Bronze Member
Tractor
Montana 2840
I have a Montana 2840 with the 100 loader.
I can't produce any down force on my bucket. It also has a float position in the down valve. I think this is normal but I have seen other small tractors with loaders that can actually lift the front of the tractor off the ground. Is mine operating correctly? I can either lift, hold position, lower to the ground or push the lever to the float position.

Is this normal?
Is this just a valve configuration option?
Can the valve be configured/modified to ever produce down force?
Is down force a bad thing for a tractor loader like mine and should not be done?

/ no loader down force #2  
It wont lift in float, Put the bucket down flat then dump (open) the bucket it will lift the tractor up

/ no loader down force
Yes when I'm back dragging it works like that. So I guess it is normal then?

I was just trying to compact down some bushes and realized I could not do it with the loader. Seemed odd that I could not produce any down pressure. I know I have seen other loaders that could. I just had to back over them repeatedly to compact them down for disposal. Never tried to get down force before so I guess it is not needed much anyway.

I got suitcase weights for my box blade. So I may just consider weight in the bucket if I ever need down pressure again LOL.

/ no loader down force #4  
If you put the bucket on a wall lets say 3 feet high it should lift the tractor up , If the bucket is flat there is not much travel left on the pistons to go down . If you go to far you might be going into float mode

/ no loader down force #5  
When the bucket control joystick is in FLOAT there will be no down pressure. That is what FLOAT is; no pressure.
You should have down pressure prior to pushing over the FLOAT detent you feel through the loader control joystick.

I have a Montana 2840 with the 100 loader. I have seen other small tractors with loaders that can actually lift the front of the tractor off the ground. Is mine operating correctly?

ANSWER:

It wont lift in float. Put the bucket down flat then curl the bucket so bucket lip is in the ground and bucket heel is off the ground; FEL will lift the tractor up.

No FEL that I know of will lift the front of a stationary tractor with the bucket flat. Bucket must be curled.

Your tractor is fine. You need another 200 engine hours of operating experience and all this will be second nature.

Do you have a Montana 2840 Operator's Manual? Have you read the Operator's Manual and highlighted paragraphs of interest?

((Have you checked level of hydraulic fluid in your tractor? ))

Last edited:
   / no loader down force #6  
Manufacturer Montana Tractors
Model 100 Loader

DIMENSIONS
Bucket Height 60.3 in.
Bucket Width 66 in.
MEASUREMENTS
Bucket Capacity 9 cu. ft.
Lift Capacity 1,585 lbs.(at max. height)
2,360 lbs. (to 59 in.)
Lift Height Maximum: 93 in.
Level Bucket: 86 in.
Clearance 75.8 in. (dumped, from hood)
Dump Angle 24°
Reach Height Dumped (at max. angle): 45.8 in.
Ground Level: 67 in.
Attachment Rollback 18° (ground level)
Dig Depth 3 in.
Operating Speed Raise: 5 sec.
Lower: 3 sec.
Dump: 3.6 sec.
Rollback: 2.4 sec.

/ no loader down force
Yes to all. My loader has no down pressure and no I'm not in float.
Seems to be normal. I wet by a dealer yesterday and all the small loaders work like mine does.

/ no loader down force
Well I checked my Loader pressure and found it at least 300psi down from factory specifications. I adjusted it with shims as referenced in another post. I by accident a little while back was dragging a pile of dirt while using down pressure and I that found that I stopped moving. I looked and to my surprise the front axle was off the ground. I just for testing tried to lift the front of the tractor while on level ground and to my surprise the loader down function easily lifted the front axle off the ground even with my front tires loaded with window washing fluid for ballast. When testing before there was no ballast in the tires and it would not budge the axle even slightly off the ground. So I guess a little more hydraulic pressure was all that was needed in my case. For reference, with the shim adjustment I went from a little under 1900 psi to just a little under 2300 psi at 2000 rpm. Also my lifting power has improve a great deal.

Last edited:
   / no loader down force #9  
When attempting to raise tractor frt tires with FEL bucket rear tires must be free to rotate as frt tires are raised.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2021 John Deere 8R410 MFWD Tractor (A34573)
2021 John Deere...
4990 CK3510SE KIOTI 2 POST MFD W/KL4030 KIOTI LOADER 83HRS (A34733)
4990 CK3510SE...
ASSORTED EQUIPMENT MANUALS,...( ALL BOOKS ON THE TABLE, TABLE NOT INCLUDED) (A34808)
ASSORTED EQUIPMENT...
PIPE RACKS (A34808)
PIPE RACKS (A34808)
Miscellaneous Shop Repair Parts (A33113)
Miscellaneous Shop...
2006 John Deere 9986 Cotton Picker (A33113)
2006 John Deere...