Oil Filter Question

/ Oil Filter Question #21  
mike,
where did you get the micro ratings for balwin& kobota oil filters? I call tech. support for stp oil filters& they state they are not allowed to give out that info. Seems strange to me that they won't give that info. out

/ Oil Filter Question #22  
online for both. If they do not give ratings find another filter. If it was good they would tell you...in my eyes.

The micron rating is only FYI since it really does not tell how good a filter is.

For example, a screen door could be stated to stop 1 micron particles from passing through, yet the percentage of the total 1 micron particles that a screen door will stop is going to be extremely small, and pretty close to zero.

/ Oil Filter Question #23  
Mike,
Do you know who makes micro-guard & super tech oil filters? What is your opinion on these 2 filters?
Thanks,
Ken

/ Oil Filter Question #24  
Supertech filters are similar to AC..good deal for the money.

I think the micro-guard is made by ArvinMeritor; which owned Purolator last I knew (some time ago).

Either filter is good is just going the normal milage duration.

/ Oil Filter Question #25  
Having a bit of a problem locating a cartridge type oil filter for my YM 276. This is not the US version of the YM 276. It has a 27 hp 2 cyl engine and oil filter located in horizontal position below injector pump. filter is 5.25 Long and 2 7/8 diameter. someone said might be like a 2210 or YM240. Anyone got any ideas? I have all the serial nos and model nos but I feel might have to go to a size chart.thanks to all.

/ Oil Filter Question #26  
Regarding the anti-drain back valves in oil filters:

I had heard about these sophisticated devices for years. To satisfy my curiosity of exactly how these valves work I bought and cut open several brands of oil filters. AC, Motorcraft, Fram, STP, Baldwin, and several other brands were included when I did this.

It turns out that the "valve" in these filters works on the same principle that the flapper works on in the tank on your toilet. In other words, in a toilet tank, the weight of the water pushes down on the flapper and keeps the tank full until you raise the flapper by flushing.

I have learned that almost every automotive oil filter you buy has an antidrainback valve, the exceptions being filters that are on the market for applications from the 70s and early 80s and prior.

Take any filter and look in the smaller holes on the base. If you see black rubber, in most cases that is the drainback valve.

How good does this valve seal? ? ?

It's easy to major on minors. My experience tells me that a most name brand filters (**** being the main exception) and most private label filters will provide the average user with all the filtering capacity he needs. (Assuming the proper application of the filter, of course.)

By the way, I buy and install several thousand oil filters a month, so I have more than a passing interest in them.

Hope this helps and is more than useless trivia.

Steve

/ Oil Filter Question #27  
I too have an interest in Filtration, I work in the filtration industry designing filters of all sorts.

Me and another guy put together a study, he did the cut ups & web site and I did all the lab testing/reporting of the testing.

You might like the following site. We actucaly put numbers to everyone's filter media, by testing for pore sizes of all the different filters.

The site is:
www.oilfilterstudy.com

Tim

/ Oil Filter Question #28  
Here is one more thing to check when considering a different part number filter with the same thread pitch and diameter. Compare how far back the threaded area is from the plane of the gasket. I mention this because I put on a different make filter on the Kubota ZB600-E stationary diesel engine in my shop. The engine comes stock with a threaded filter fitting that is screwed into the block. The new filter's threaded area was not set back far enough to permit the filter gasket surface to reach the block surface. The stock Kubota filter fit fine. So does the UPF 1127 ACDelco that I use now. It is a better filter, but unfortunately, no longer made. I have a case of them.

/ Oil Filter Question #29  
Old thread, but if you are on e-mail notification for updates and still have the tractor.
AutoZone cross referenced the Kukje HRA1102000A3 to STP S2808
I have been unable to verify this independently via the web, but by now perhaps those in the trade can check it (if autozone can...?)