Michigan Old FMC Sidewinder bush hog slip clutch

/ Old FMC Sidewinder bush hog slip clutch #1  

devodad

Silver Member
Tractor
JOHN DEERE
Is anyone out there familiar with how to slip this clutch? I got this old sidewinder its in petty decent shape but when I get into thick grass it just won't cut. I have to stop, raise it for a bit and put it back down many times. I'm thinking it's slipping and needs to be tightened or something. You tube instructions on slipping a clutch show a completely different type of clutch with bolts you can loosen all the way around. This one doesn't have those. There is a large nut behind it and I'm not sure if I should loosen that to see if that will slip it then re-tighten it or what to do. If I do loosen that big nu, how tight should I re-tighten it? Here are a couple of pictures of it.
IMG_1725.JPGIMG_1726.JPGIMG_1726.JPG

/ Old FMC Sidewinder bush hog slip clutch
Sorry, I think I posted in the wrong forum. I'll go back to the general forums and see where it should go.

/ Old FMC Sidewinder bush hog slip clutch #3  
You have it figured. Back that nut off enough to polish the surfaces, then tighten it back to where it began. (if you loosened half, bring back half turn, etc.) It sounds like it may need a little more than you have on it now--they are variably adjustable, so you set it for the power range you don't want to cross.

/ Old FMC Sidewinder bush hog slip clutch
You have it figured. Back that nut off enough to polish the surfaces, then tighten it back to where it began. (if you loosened half, bring back half turn, etc.) It sounds like it may need a little more than you have on it now--they are variably adjustable, so you set it for the power range you don't want to cross.

Thank you! I'll try backing it off some to polish em and then I'll try to tighten it again. Like you said, maybe it needs to be tighter than it is now. I just don't know how much tighter I can get it. I just got the unit and it had set outside for a couple of years. I'm thinking water got in there and maybe got a little corrosion in there making it slip. Thanks again for your reply.