Overheating Ford 4000

/ Overheating Ford 4000 #1  

Wilson B

Tractor
Ford 4000
When I mow with my Ford 4000 at around 1200 or so RPM the tractor overheats according to the gauge but when I stop mowing and slow down the it cools down to normal very quickly so I don't really know if I'm overheating or is it a faulty gauge or is it the nature of this model Ford. The radiator is fairly new and coolant is used.

/ Overheating Ford 4000 #2  
I don't know the tractor but be sure airflow through the radiator is not restricted. Dirt and dust can build in short order blocking air flow. You could check your thermostat, they do go bad from time to time. 1200 rpm sounds low. Your tractor may not be developing enough power at that speed. Find out what engine speed for your tractor yields 540 PTO rpm. By taking it easy on the tractor you may be over working it. I think 2000 rpm is more typical for PTO work.

/ Overheating Ford 4000 #3  
Depending on what you are mowing, the radiator can be extremely vulnerable to clogging. If the mowed vegetation throws up seeds, dust or flack, that stuff can work its way into the radiator core and plug things up. Cleaning with water and air might alleviate it, or it may not. On my Branson, despite frequent cleaning of the radiator during and after mowing, I still developed overheating problems (only when mowing heavy brush or going fast up long hills). I finally removed the radiator and found it was indeed partially clogged despite my frequent cleaning. It is especially more difficult to clean on the tractor if you have a hydraulic fluid cooler and a/c condenser mounted in front of your radiator like many tractors do these days.

/ Overheating Ford 4000 #4  
When I am mowing our 15 acre meadow, I keep my eye on the temp guage because of all the seeds, dust and flack that accumulate on the screen. I usually have to stop midday and clean the screen. When I get back to the barn, I take our leaf blower and blow the radiator out to get all the debris off. As long as I do that, I can run 10+ hours through high grass/weeds/brush (as in 4 foot tall or higher).

/ Overheating Ford 4000 #5  
When I mow with my Ford 4000 at around 1200 or so RPM the tractor overheats according to the gauge but when I stop mowing and slow down the it cools down to normal very quickly so I don't really know if I'm overheating or is it a faulty gauge or is it the nature of this model Ford. The radiator is fairly new and coolant is used.
It might be worth checking the bottom radiator hose, our 3000 was overheating at higher rev's and I found the hose was collapsing thus cutting off the water flow. Fitted a large spring in the hose and the problem has gone away. The fact that yours cools down quickly when ticking over points to there not being much else wrong with the system. I think that some of the after market hoses are very thin walled.

Last edited: