painting aluminum

/ painting aluminum #1  

fishman

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910; Kubota T1670
O.K., here's another challenge to set before the collective wisdom of TBN. I've go an aluminum boat that is painted silver, and I really would rather it be a nice camoflauge color. Given the fact that it has already been painted, what should I do? I know that aluminum poses some challenges that some paints just aren't up to. Sandblast? etch? primer it? I've heard that it can be difficult to get paint to adhere and am looking for good advice. So I asked you guys!/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

18-33477-tibbsig2.JPG

/ painting aluminum #2  
fishman, I probably can't help you much, but I do know they make paints specifically for aluminum. About 15 years ago, I painted an aluminum mobile home with one of the latex paints made for aluminum and it did a real nice job and stayed on very well. While I don't know a lot about paints, I'd have some doubts about a latex paint on a boat.

Bird

/ painting aluminum #3  
fishman,

<font color=blue>nice camoflauge color</font color=blue>

Sounds like your going to put the sneak on something./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Check out the Interlux or Pettit web sites both manufacturers make paint for aluminium. Usually bare aluminium is treated with a Zinc Chromate primer before painting. West Marine sells both Interlux, Pettit and others.

Al

/ painting aluminum #4  
fishman, I painted my fiberglass 14' gamefisher last year with Interlux Brightside.
It is a one part polyurethane that can be used on aluminum. I brushed it on and
it looks almost as good as a spray job. So far it has held up well. The Interlux
website gives instructions for aluminum stripping and surface prep.
www.interlux.com

Steve

/ painting aluminum #5  
Fishman,
I have a 14' alum boat that I painted with a polyurethane (sp?) floor and porch paint about 4 years ago. It has held up real well but will need another coat this fall. When I painted it, it had been painted once or twice before. I pressure washed it and then put a couple of coats on.
Good Luck,

Matt