Pictures of an athletic field contractor

/ Pictures of an athletic field contractor #21  
I’ve done construction layout for baseball fields, football fields and track and field events. The last baseball fields I did got screwed up. Part of the problem was they didn’t update there 3d model. The other problem is the contractor didn’t check into the benchmark . I remember we had a big meeting on sight after the problem was discovered. I asked the contractor if he checked into the benchmark 2 or 3 times a day with his gps. He said what benchmark? It was clearly marked on every plan sheet.

The laser setup you are using is better than gps for elevation accuracy. Just don’t forget to check the calibration and accuracy of it, they get out of whack. Also going much further than 300 to 400 feet the accuracy starts to fall off.

/ Pictures of an athletic field contractor
I’ve done construction layout for baseball fields, football fields and track and field events. The last baseball fields I did got screwed up. Part of the problem was they didn’t update there 3d model. The other problem is the contractor didn’t check into the benchmark . I remember we had a big meeting on sight after the problem was discovered. I asked the contractor if he checked into the benchmark 2 or 3 times a day with his gps. He said what benchmark? It was clearly marked on every plan sheet.

The laser setup you are using is better than gps for elevation accuracy. Just don’t forget to check the calibration and accuracy of it, they get out of whack. Also going much further than 300 to 400 feet the accuracy starts to fall off.
A couple of years ago, I was doing the final grade on a softball field. The engineer (who is a hunting friend of mine) called me and said the field is 8" too low.

So the dirt contractor had to come back and add 8" and we had to final grade it again. I was able to charge the general contractor more to regrade it, but I did not charge him my full price.

/ Pictures of an athletic field contractor #23  
Verticutting today at a high school football field. Sorry I didn’t get more pictures, but the tractor was having some issues View attachment 871487
That happens to me a lot of times, I get to working and before I know it I'm done , or I get about half way home and say dang I forgot to get pictures.

Deep tine aeration on 3 high school football fields today.

Attachments

• IMG_3823.jpeg
    IMG_3823.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3828.jpeg
    IMG_3828.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3829.jpeg
    IMG_3829.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 72
   / Pictures of an athletic field contractor #28  
Great photo's and information. I find all dirt work interesting, and the more specialized it is, the more I like it!!!

Here in Tyler, I watched them build a football field for the Junior College, and then a Soccer Field for the University. I was amazed at all the big yellow iron equipment that was used on those projects. Several times, there was a dozen pieces of equipment out there working. I never realized how hard it is to get a field perfectly flat and level!!!!

/ Pictures of an athletic field contractor #29  
Are you concerned that many places are going to fake grass with the rubber pellets or whatever they are or do you prep areas for that also?

Are you concerned that many places are going to fake grass with the rubber pellets or whatever they are or do you prep areas for that also?
Yes I am concerned. One of my bigger customers is converting 4 football fields to fake grass. I'm trying to figure out what sort of equipment I can buy to do maintenance on fake grass. Some of the fake grass companies are telling the schools that if any gas or diesel powered equipment goes on the field, the warranty is voided. Which is BS...

I asked one of my equipment vendors to build an electric powered machine so that I can service these new fake grass fields. I have not looked into any electric powered tractors yet. I don't think there is much available yet.