Pole barn door questions

/ Pole barn door questions #1  

whynot162

Silver Member
Tractor
Rhino 324
I and putting in the door on my pole barn. I have the round track. How do I join the two pieces of track together?
How much larger should the door be than the opening?
Thanks

/ Pole barn door questions
Sorry I put this in the Wong place it can be moved

/ Pole barn door questions #3  
I joined the round track together by just aligning the ends before screwing through them into the wood. The ends of my track were flared to allow for a little misalignment, and I took a Dremel grinder to the inside to knock off some burrs. But I do wish I had done it differently. I wish I had made thin boards out of good plywood, and aligned the ends carefully while mounting the track on the plywood, then hoisted the whole long assembly up there. Still, it works fine as is. Curious what others say.

PXL_20210917_182902592.MP.jpg
found this connection at the local farm store.

/ Pole barn door questions #5  
   / Pole barn door questions #6  
When I built my sliding door for my old barn, I made the door 4" bigger than the opening width, so I have 2" of overhang on both sides. The height was 1" bigger than the opening because there is not as much clearance due to the track and trolleys.

When I built my new barn, I opted for rollup garage doors so they seal completely. Snow used to get around the sliding doors I built.

/ Pole barn door questions #7  
That splice looks like what I used. The round track is from National Hardware, sold thru TSC. I had to "adjust" the splice to get it to fit on the ends of the tracks. A crowbar, a huge vise, and a big hammer helped in the "adjustments". I had to do some grinding to make the ends a little better transition between the tracks also.
hugs, Brandi

That splice slid into the end no problem. It has two screws on the top that clamp each side of the rail into it. Worked great. I should have got a picture of it installed.
Thanks for the information about the door width.
I had a hard time getting the holes in the top of the door for the hanger streight. So now the door was a twist in it. As in the bottom left is too far in and the bottom right is too far out. Any ideas on how to fix that or do I have to replace the 2x6 and how do I get square holes for the hangers to go through. The door is square but not sided yet.