Ponds & waterfalls

/ Ponds & waterfalls #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
We are building a pond with a smaller pond on the hill above the patio. There is a waterfall between the two. The rock that the water will flow over as the waterfall is probably 3 feet wide by 4 feet deep and maybe 6 inches tall.

We have worked & sweated
We have worked more & sweated
We have worked more & more & sweated.

It was finally coming together and I looked at the mentioned rock and though briefly...this just might work. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif The ponds seemed deep enough, the walls to direct the water OVER the rock seemed HIGH enough...hmmmmmmm

Last night I put it to a trial test, placing a hose in the upper pond to see how it filled and flowed.
Let me tell you that a hose is the SLOW way to fill a pond. /w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif

Upshot, as the water level finally approached the rock, we heard a very distinct and audible trickle sound.

Seems, the water is flowing UNDER the rock!!! we hadn't thought about THAT particular angle. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

I said Let's keep filling it up. After all, just because the water from the hose goes under the rock, when the pump kicks in (at 35 gallons/minute) it might change.

Many gallons later, pump kicked in.

Houston...we have a SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

(arm hurting from patting self on back)

This thing is working pretty much exactly as we hoped. I can't imagine how it could work any better than it does, especially given that Marion & I have never done anything like this ever. Our first pond, our first holding pond, first waterfall.

I might add, that the 3x4 waterfall rock was laid in place once (using Brutus) for layout reference. Then was laid the second time permanently. I just knew we would have to get the backhoe in there and dinker around with this flat rock, which would inevitably wreck many of the other rocks that have been placed. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Seems that is not an issue. It actually fit the FIRST time we tried it. The second time we put it down is because we had to install the liner for the pond. /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Now if I can just keep the dang daily rain away so I can keep our grass seed from being continually washed away.../w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif /w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif

/ Ponds & waterfalls #2  
Richard,

Congratulations on your new waterfall/ponds! We hope to put something similar in at our place. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I was wondering about the small quantiuty of water that flows under the rock. Unless the the liner protects the soil beneath, even a small "trickle" can, over time, undermine the rock, turning your waterfall into a "rock-fall".

Do you think this is an issue in this case? /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Larry

/ Ponds & waterfalls
Hey Larry,

I do think (hope) that it's a non issue. We dug maybe a 10'x4' kidney shaped pond with the upper pond being maybe 5'x2' (just guesses).

None the less, what ever size they in fact are, we bought 20 feet of 15' liner. BOTH ponds and the middle section are all under single, seemless liner. That's why we had to lay rock twice..to get the liner under it. If I had the Brass Ba**s to have laid the liner before the rock (the first time) and the rock fit as it did, you couldn't have fit my big fat head inside of the "Chalkey Cup" post it would have been so big. (Tim Allen sounds about here) /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

We are going to try to figure out if we can stem the flow under the rock. It isn't that much compared to what is going over the rock with the pump. My main concern is water levels. If BOTH ponds are full and pump is turned off, I will lose maybe 6 inches of depth in the top pond to the bottom one. I fear that will flood the patio or go down the drain pipe (once it's height adjusted). /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Richard

/ Ponds & waterfalls
I do intend on taking/posting a photo. As I do that the old fashioned way (film), unfortunately, it takes me a while to take, fill roll & develop.

I think a photo I posted of "The Great Wall of Greenback" shows some of the patio hill & might give a flavor.

As our wedding plans are for August 12 and I still have 11 tons of flagstone to lay on the patio, it won't really be photogenic for a day or so.../w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Richard

/ Ponds & waterfalls #6  
Pitbull,

I hope your owners have the sense to keep you an a strong leash, held by a strong hand, instead of taking the "MY dog would never hurt anyone!" approach!
/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Larry

/ Ponds & waterfalls #7  
Jor_El

My wife keeps a firm grip on my very short leash!

BTW, its a nickname I aquired, not even sure when or where. Actually I own a full blood German Shepherd named Elsie. My last shepherd, Annie, died last fall after keeping me company for 12 years, she is greatly missed. We also have a lab / chinese pug mix (the pug was the sire!).

How about you, any canine friends?