Poulan 2055 has me stumped.

/ Poulan 2055 has me stumped. #1  

BravoXray

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230, John Deere 430 Diesel
My neighbor has a Poulan 2055 chainsaw that he can't get to run. So, I told him to bring it over and I'd have a look at it. The fuel lines were bad, so I replaced all the lines and the filter and put in fresh 2 cycle mixed gas. It ran for maybe 10 seconds and died like it ran out of gas and never started again. Pulled the plug, looked okay, but I put a new one in. Checked for spark, good spark. Still won't start. Took the recoill cover off and set the gap between the mag coil and the flywheel. Still good spark. Won't start. Then, when I was priming it with the bulb, the bulb quit popping back out, just stayed pushed in. Pulled the inlet line off the carb, no change. Pulled the outlet line off, the one that goes to the primer bulb, and it popped back out. pulled the covers off the carb and everything looked okay, nothing torn and no dirt or crud. Put it back together, still no start.
The strange thing is that even if I quirt some starting fluid in the carb with the throttle open, and try to start it, it never fires at all.
Pulled the muffler off, and the piston and ring look fine, and it has a lot of compression, just as much as my Poulan Pro 38cc saw does.
I can't imagine that it somehow sheared the crank key and it out of time, but I'm going to check that tomorrow.

Got any ideas, I'm stumped.

/ Poulan 2055 has me stumped.
Well, the mystery is solved. I got a rebuild kit for the carb, and today, with the neighbor/owner looking over my shoulder, I took the cab apart and started replacing parts.I pulled the top cover off and replaced the thin plastic gasket that has the little check valves, and another paper gasket. Didn't see anything wrong there, so I put the cover back on. Pulled the top cover off, it has a diaphragm that pushes on a tiny little lever that opens and closes the needle valve to let fuel in. There is also a little screen that filters the fuel on it's way to the jets. This thing is small, less than a 1/4" in diameter, and looked okay, but there was a new one in the kit, so I removed it with an o-ring pick and put a new on in place. Upon closer examination, after the screen dried out, it was full of really fine brown material, sawdust maybe?
Changing the tiny lever, spring, needle and the pin the lever pivots on was a challenge, but after a dozen of so tries, I finally got it all put back together, and put the cover on. Installed it on the saw, hit the primer bulb a few times and it worked like it should. Pulled the choke on, and it started on the first pull. Did a little adjusting on the high and low needles and the idle speed, and it would rev up, and drop back to a nice idle speed and set there idling for as long as you wanted.
So it appears the problem was the filter was plugged up. That would explain why the primer bulb wouldn't reinflate, as it couldn't pull any fuel through the carb.
Neighbor said it has never run so well before, was really happy. Before he left, I used my Oregon sharpening too to sharpen the chain for him too.
He owes me a dinner at Texas Roadhouse.

/ Poulan 2055 has me stumped. #4  
Well, the mystery is solved. I got a rebuild kit for the carb, and today, with the neighbor/owner looking over my shoulder, I took the cab apart and started replacing parts.I pulled the top cover off and replaced the thin plastic gasket that has the little check valves, and another paper gasket. Didn't see anything wrong there, so I put the cover back on. Pulled the top cover off, it has a diaphragm that pushes on a tiny little lever that opens and closes the needle valve to let fuel in. There is also a little screen that filters the fuel on it's way to the jets. This thing is small, less than a 1/4" in diameter, and looked okay, but there was a new one in the kit, so I removed it with an o-ring pick and put a new on in place. Upon closer examination, after the screen dried out, it was full of really fine brown material, sawdust maybe?
Changing the tiny lever, spring, needle and the pin the lever pivots on was a challenge, but after a dozen of so tries, I finally got it all put back together, and put the cover on. Installed it on the saw, hit the primer bulb a few times and it worked like it should. Pulled the choke on, and it started on the first pull. Did a little adjusting on the high and low needles and the idle speed, and it would rev up, and drop back to a nice idle speed and set there idling for as long as you wanted.
So it appears the problem was the filter was plugged up. That would explain why the primer bulb wouldn't reinflate, as it couldn't pull any fuel through the carb.
Neighbor said it has never run so well before, was really happy. Before he left, I used my Oregon sharpening too to sharpen the chain for him too.
He owes me a dinner at Texas Roadhouse.
Just to show when their really bad. I see this all the time. Very common on poulans etc running epa lines that separate or fuel fliter falls off. This one was do to lining in fuel line separating.

plinesc.JPG

/ Poulan 2055 has me stumped. #5  
Time to invest in a heated ultrasonic cleaner and a gallon of Berrymans Chem Tool or Gunk carb clean and give the carb a bath in it. What I do, Take the carb apart, remove the diaphragm and give it a 10 minute swim. Works every time.

/ Poulan 2055 has me stumped. #8  
Well, the mystery is solved. I got a rebuild kit for the carb,

Thanks for returning and solving the problem for us ... It'll help a future someone

/ Poulan 2055 has me stumped. #9  
My neighbor has a Poulan 2055 chainsaw that he can't get to run. So, I told him to bring it over and I'd have a look at it. The fuel lines were bad, so I replaced all the lines and the filter and put in fresh 2 cycle mixed gas. It ran for maybe 10 seconds and died like it ran out of gas and never started again. Pulled the plug, looked okay, but I put a new one in. Checked for spark, good spark. Still won't start. Took the recoill cover off and set the gap between the mag coil and the flywheel. Still good spark. Won't start. Then, when I was priming it with the bulb, the bulb quit popping back out, just stayed pushed in. Pulled the inlet line off the carb, no change. Pulled the outlet line off, the one that goes to the primer bulb, and it popped back out. pulled the covers off the carb and everything looked okay, nothing torn and no dirt or crud. Put it back together, still no start.
The strange thing is that even if I quirt some starting fluid in the carb with the throttle open, and try to start it, it never fires at all.
Pulled the muffler off, and the piston and ring look fine, and it has a lot of compression, just as much as my Poulan Pro 38cc saw does.
I can't imagine that it somehow sheared the crank key and it out of time, but I'm going to check that tomorrow.

Got any ideas, I'm stumped.