Power steering

/ Power steering #1  

Rudytx

Tractor
Century 2535
Tractor tractor turns right, but not left.

/ Power steering #2  
I would first check the steering hydraulic cylinder, see if its leaking.

/ Power steering #3  
My guess is a hose.

Now to the tough part; The steering BOX (for want of a better term) is mounted at the bottom of the steering column and the 4 hoses that are threaded into it are VERY CLOSE to each other, i.e. using a flare nut wrench to either of the outer two is hard enough.
To the inner two - - Bahh, take off at least one of the outer ones first.

Yes, you DO NEED to use flare nut wrenches here and while I agree that an overnight soak in penetrating oil works for MANY things it doesn't work here - due to the "O" rings. How corrosion gets IN but penetrating oil (including power blaster) doesn't is a mystery of modern chemistry and physics.

Something to keep in mind with hose fittings is that (obviously) they aren't like turning a solid bolt, so long cheater bars are a no-no.

Tip: Don't pay ~$100 or so for Kukje original factory parts, have them made up at the local hydraulics shop for about half that and ask for smaller (than standard 19 mm) nut sizes.

Good luck with this.

/ Power steering #4  
The rotary valve in the steering box (The so called 'top hat') may have become unpinned and is a few degrees off of center.

/ Power steering #5  
Are there any other symptoms ?
Is it dropping oil ?
On soil you may not notice it, but if you peek underneath while someone turns the wheel left you might get a clue.

From memory mine turned left but not right and that was the hose that runs from the leftmost port on the steering box forward to a coupling on the right side of the tractor. You need to undo that coupling FIRST so that when you free up the hose at the steering box end you will be able to turn it, Getting the new hose through the firewall is a bear of a job, I did it by pushing forward from the seat side and catching it with a small screwdriver inserted into the hose to bend it around behind the engine valve cover. This trick should work whichever hose you have to poke through. Oh yeah, aligning the hose to the port MATTERS and ain't easy - it can be worth the effort to take the box off of the steering column to get a clear view as you turn the first couple of threads in - - BY HAND !!!

PS Despite the parts listings MINE turned out to be MALE fittings on BOTH ends - 1.2 meters as I recall.

Last edited:
   / Power steering #6  
No updates in two months ?

I'll just add that mine blew a SECOND hose last week and it was an "inner" one.
Fortunately it was on the left side, so although it was an "inner" it was next to the one that I had replaced a year or two ago, so getting the "outer" one removed for access was easy.
UN-fortunately this one was really corroded in so I had to cut it off and put a deep 19mm socket over it and use my bestest cheater bar.

OK so this one runs to the fitting on the frame just behind the left front wheel. A real BEAR to thread through the firewall and well worth the trouble of tapiing the new hose to the old cut off hose before pulling that out, i.e pull in the new by pulling out the old - but FIRST thread the new into the steering valve block.

Good luck.