Pre-Season Dry Beans?

/ Pre-Season Dry Beans? #1  

Diggin It

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM
I get bags of a few different types of dry beans, Navy, Pinto, Kidney and a few others, then some split peas, etc. I dump them all into those gallon plastic ice cream tubs so when I want some, I get a random mix. Got to wondering about adding pepper, celery salt, onion powder or other seasonings into the tubs to let it all blend together over time. Will the dry beans absorb any of that?

/ Pre-Season Dry Beans? #2  
I get bags of a few different types of dry beans, Navy, Pinto, Kidney and a few others, then some split peas, etc. I dump them all into those gallon plastic ice cream tubs so when I want some, I get a random mix. Got to wondering about adding pepper, celery salt, onion powder or other seasonings into the tubs to let it all blend together over time. Will the dry beans absorb any of that?

I know it works for meat; they call it dry brining, but then the meat contains considerable moisture. I'm betting that it would work; beans absorb moisture from the ground in order to sprout; why not seasonings? I say give it a try and see what happens. I would check it regularly to make sure it wasn't getting moldy, though.

/ Pre-Season Dry Beans? #3  
I think you would have better luck with something other than dry flavorings...

I have no experience with dried food beans but I do know something about flavoring coffee beans which usually done in food grade (cement type) mixers...it is all done with different flavor oils...not sure how that would work with beans to be stored...

/ Pre-Season Dry Beans? #4  
/pine;5550819[B said:
]I think you would have better luck with something other than dry flavorings...
[/B]
I have no experience with dried food beans but I do know something about flavoring coffee beans which usually done in food grade (cement type) mixers...it is all done with different flavor oils...not sure how that would work with beans to be stored...

Yeah, I think I would start by soaking them overnight in a briny solution with all of the flavorings, with the intention of cooking them in the next day or two.

/ Pre-Season Dry Beans? #5  
Dry beans will definitely absorb water, but I don't know about the other things. We like Cranberry Beans (known as October Beans in my wife's native country -- West Virginia). And I always put those dry beans in a big bowl of water over night before cooking them.