Preferred paints

/ Preferred paints #11  
Any paint is better than none in some sense but there are a couple types of paint jobs. Scuff and shoot, sand, sandblast, custom, fast sale car lot typoes or super durable for expensive equipment in harsh environment. Imron types and Corlar epoxy primer being about the best but is coatly, industrial is cheaper and almost as good for finish but very durabkle. It all doesnt need to be perfect all the time.
I got no idea about all the magir rust converter stuff, have never used it, I spose its good. But while there is a best and at one point,,, and some of it was worth it I keepall kinds around and use spray cans more than I used to. Expensive paint is well worth it in the case of hi prep and hard service but if you dont use it regulae end up with some on the shelves and its hard to salvage and I like some common equipment enamal around fo0r more common work along with a touch up gun,,,, but the **** is cheap really and goes a long ways to get some color on it, I paint the flats you can see, stuff that has to stop rust but no one crawls uder with a creeper for a car show. Th enamel goes on smooth with a sponge brush, I try to score a little hardener when I want to zip it up a little, it dries faster and a bit more shine and I dont always use as much, stingy or even a little on a wet coat.

/ Preferred paints #12  
I bought that stuff at n auction with some other stuff and was dingy, clean, scuff mask and paint. A lot of equipment fluff up dont even bother with primer simply use 2 spray coats. Common paint is so much less hazardous than specialty stuff, both during spray and dry. My point being there is a lot to read about paint if you try hard enough but not such some simple how to.
Learning to be fast and adequate, the difference between a trailer and a new jet airplane is different. A deep secret to good sandblasting is to hit it with maroon Scotchbrite after to smooth it before prime and blow it off with air, good to go. I dont use any of that ****, treater, washer nada, nothing, scuff blow and shoot.
The shot in pic 3 was right after a revovation was about 20 yrs over do. The space where the ladders are was stacked with crap I hadnt used in for ever.

Attachments

• chain fall trolly.JPG
    chain fall trolly.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 174
  • chain fall.JPG
    chain fall.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 165
  • paint bay after.JPG
    paint bay after.JPG
    720.4 KB · Views: 164
  • Paint cabnit.JPG
    Paint cabnit.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 161
   / Preferred paints #13  
I've had good luck with TSC farm and implement paint by Rust-Oleum...as good or better than paint from a dealer.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/catalog/tractor-automotive-paint

Have you used a rust treatment before?
If not look into it.. it takes a lot of work out of prep and converts the rust to a paint ready surface..

View attachment 681010

My rust converter of choice but there's lots out there.

YEP.......OSPHO is GREAT!
I use it on everything steel!

/ Preferred paints #14  
Been painting 35 years and never used it. Not that its bad, just never occurred to me I guess. When I wan the best paint job I can get its sandblast, followed by maroon Scotchbrite and blown off with air and Corlar epoxy primer followed by Industrial Imron.
None of the other stuff, no treatment, no etch primer, none of it. Simple blast smoo
gas tank.JPG
thed with scuff pad to clean sand and smooth spikes from blast so they dont poke thru the primer. If not blasting use mostly 150 paper and maybe a zing with 220 for a bit better finish. Paint 15 or 29 years old in this pic been in the all season weather.

Last edited:
   / Preferred paints #15  
It reminds me of the old story when a guy comes knocking on the door and sez "I need some work, is there anything can do"? The affluent homeowner sez, The porch outback needs to be repainted. There is a gallon of paint and a brush next to it. An hour later the guy knocks again and see "It's all done, but you got the pronunciation wrong, it Porsche!" :p

/ Preferred paints #16  
<snipped>
Have you used a rust treatment before?
If not look into it.. it takes a lot of work out of prep and converts the rust to a paint ready surface..

View attachment 681010

My rust converter of choice but there's lots out there.
I found this on Amazon..... then went to their website... then found out a local dealer is ACE Hardware. Found our local had 2 gallons & was price comparable to Amazon. Got them Thursday. Tested it yesterday with a spray bottle(spritzer bottle) first on the old grinder then the trailer I’m preping to paint. Pretty cool stuff folks. I’m diggin’ it. Picks to follow later today.

Last edited:
   / Preferred paints #17  
So, the picture with the cub cadet behind it was taken Saturday. It had received at least 3 16oz spritzer bottles of the green juice on Friday to look that way. The torched out metal floor was piled up on the gooseneck. Next to that pile is the tailgate I’ll be welding into the little trailer soon as the rain let’s me....
0DB39A38-B3B8-4628-BEAD-2AED825A0A34.jpeg

Saturday afternoon it got tipped up on its tail and the belly of the frame got its own 3 16oz bottles of spray which made this white stuff show up today from the rain...
DA561FDC-9B2D-4DA9-9842-429E0CC32163.jpeg

EB316341-4EC4-4C8A-8213-1CF7CF09D431.jpeg
A5F2C1F6-EB14-4A44-A529-B4B5ED4D3FC2.jpeg
A5F2C1F6-EB14-4A44-A529-B4B5ED4D3FC2.jpeg
DC5ED12C-1F7A-42B8-937B-1C2DF8F59B5D.jpeg

checkout the petina look on the grinder now.
A81E1B7C-822C-4FB3-9C4B-88A0D52420CC.jpeg