Problem with YM1700 clutch

/ Problem with YM1700 clutch #1  

igilmore

Hey guys. I'm restoring my YM1700 over the winter and I've got a bit of a problem here. It seems that the clutch arm that comes out of the bell housing has turned about 45 degrees counter clockwise from it's natural downward pointing position and now it won't go back into place pointing downward. This means I can not operate the clutch nor can I hook up the linkage. I'm really blown away by this as I have no idea why it's slipped out of place or why it won't go back into place. Any help sure would be nice. Thanks.

Ian G

/ Problem with YM1700 clutch #2  
igilmore said:
Hey guys. I'm restoring my YM1700 over the winter and I've got a bit of a problem here. It seems that the clutch arm that comes out of the bell housing has turned about 45 degrees counter clockwise from it's natural downward pointing position and now it won't go back into place pointing downward. This means I can not operate the clutch nor can I hook up the linkage. I'm really blown away by this as I have no idea why it's slipped out of place or why it won't go back into place. Any help sure would be nice. Thanks.

Ian G

Ian,

Take a look at the pics below. A shaft goes thru the bell housing to manipulate the release fork as shown. The fork is held in place with a pin or in my case with a wire. The second pic shows how the fork is kept from the turning with the help of the wire on Ford 1700. There may be also a keeper to keep the fork from twisting on the shaft. My fear is that you must have twisted off a pin (keeper) so the shaft is kind of spinning free, you broke off the ear (unlikely) or you lost the spring causing the fork to drop passed the release bearing. Unfortunately they may force you to a tractor split. Do you have a hand hole on the side of bell housing? . On my Ford 1700 there is a rubber cover on the bell housing for clutch adjustment and inspection and that makes non invasive inspection a lot easier,

JC,

dsc05129vl9.jpg

dsc04695yi4.jpg

dsc04691we8.jpg

/ Problem with YM1700 clutch #3  
I assume that you are talking about a Yanmar YM1700? If so I also have one but, I am not clear what you are saying. Sounds like your clutch may be stuck. I would suggest that you move this post to the Yanmar forum. You will probably get a better response. Also, if you fill out your public profile it will help other members identify what you have

/ Problem with YM1700 clutch #4  
It DOES NOT sound like his clutch is stuck.. it s like his linkage is damaged or broke... I believe JC has probably pegged the problem.

soundguy

/ Problem with YM1700 clutch
Well guys I looked and I don't have an access hole. Boy I'm really up a creek on this one.

Ian

/ Problem with YM1700 clutch #6  
igilmore said:
Well guys I looked and I don't have an access hole. Boy I'm really up a creek on this one.

Ian

Ian,

Sorry man. I have a device that has a 3/8" tube that carries a light source , a fiber optic tip and and a lenz. it is called Provision 300 made by SLI. You can even use the drain hole that you have on the bottom of bell housing to take a peek inside. just a thought,although You may not find that device in any guy's tool box. I can use the thing to inspect ear wax build up just as easily.LOL:D

Back to serious stuff. Do yo feel any spring action when you push the clutch pedal at all ? Is the tractor in gear or neutral ? if the transmission is in gear and let say the fork is stucked to the the pressure plate fingers, in that condition if you push the tractor back and forth using some mechanical advantage (I.e a piece of 8' 2x4 or pipe wedged against ground) may push things loose. You got nothing to loose and can't damage anything. Should not be too difficult to jar 1700 back and forth a bit.

JC,