Bronze Member
Tractor
L4740 HST, DK65S
I'm looking for a used midsize skid steer loader
I've heard that problems on newer machines require the dealer for diagnostics
Is that true?
If so, when did this change take place?

/ Proprietary computer diagnostics
Do any of you work on your own late model skid steer loaders or do you always take it to the dealer?
If you do your own work, have you had problems with diagnostics?

/ Proprietary computer diagnostics #3  
The answer is YES

You need to provide more specifics i.e. brand, model, year if you want a more specific answer

/ Proprietary computer diagnostics
Looking at Cat 226D or 232D which I believe were introduced in 2015 and currently still in production and Kubota 5 series (570, 590, 595) which were introduced around 2013
Again, prefer to do my own work like I do on my Kubota L4740
If I have to take it to the dealer for every little problem (like we have to do with my wife's car) I may look for older model and it may force me to go with Cat since closest Bobcat dealer is several hour drive

/ Proprietary computer diagnostics #5  
Hi, unsure of cat and kubota but I use a 2013 jd326 e skid steer it will occasionally throw a fault code in the form of a number. So far it's never went into a limp mode and when I recall the codes to look them up online, the codes are gone and aren't stored in the display. So either it was self correcting or operator error? Jd is always in the headlines for properitary diagnostic crap and the inability of consumers to acquire this equipment. With that being said if I go online I can usually see various fault code numbers and what they mean. Unfortunately I don't know if it becomes a serious issue if I need a properitary scanner to delete the fault code after the repair was made nor do I know (if it can be done) how to reset them manually. Definitely makes me at times want a similar vintage skid steer as my tractors. Unfortunately most of these are used up scrap iron imo.

/ Proprietary computer diagnostics #6  
JD is the one making the news, but outside of the auto industry everybody has their own proprietory software and connection cables. IH, Kubota, Cat, Briggs, Kohler, Honda, Kawasaki, Husqvarna, Stihl, MTD