Protection from or Deterrants for Deer?

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #111  
We can’t grow tomatoes in the ground here, soil is to sandy.. we grow ours in containers on the porch..
& the dogs keep them away from the house..
My soil is basically beach sand, I grow lots of tomatoes!
I compost grass clippings, leaves, pine needles, table scraps etc and add it to my garden
Where bouts in SC are you?

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #112  
Followup on Irish Spring: it didn't work.

I clipped a bar of Irish Spring into a mop handle and rubbed it everywhere I could reach under the house. At entrances, and on the sub-floor structure.

But the raccoons continue to reach up and scrape the floor joists, apparently to get bugs. With the new wifi camera under there, at least we can see that the 2am racket down there isn't something chewing its way up through the floor as we thought previously.

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #113  
Followup on Irish Spring: it didn't work.

I clipped a bar of Irish Spring into a mop handle and rubbed it everywhere I could reach under the house. At entrances, and on the sub-floor structure.

But the raccoons continue to reach up and scrape the floor joists, apparently to get bugs. With the new wifi camera under there, at least we can see that the 2am racket down there isn't something chewing its way up through the floor as we thought previously.
Get a couple jars of the hottest peppers you can find, put the liquid in a spray bottle and spray it around where they are chewing/scratching.. worked on porcupines.

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #114  
One horticulturist said to drink lots of beer and urinate around the garden.
He claimed that scent would do the trick!
LOL, I preferred using irish spring soap.

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #115  
One horticulturist said to drink lots of beer and urinate around the garden.
He claimed that scent would do the trick!
LOL, I preferred using irish spring soap.
I tried that. The beer taste a lot better!

Bruce

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #116  
My wife saw a cougar crossing the road on her way home one day and the neighbor has a picture of one eating one of his chickens, but the Fish & Game folks said there were no cougars in the area!

Years ago couple of sightings on good friend’s farm plus his neighbor losing a couple of calves, game warden & biologist still claimed extinct around here, (and in almost the same breath said shooting one would put you in deep doo-doo). More sightings & couple of close encounters later they admitted that some Florida Cougars MAY have been reintroduced into our area, again reminding us of the deep doo- doo scenario.

/ Protection from or Deterrants for Deer? #117  
Years ago couple of sightings on good friend’s farm plus his neighbor losing a couple of calves, game warden & biologist still claimed extinct around here, (and in almost the same breath said shooting one would put you in deep doo-doo). More sightings & couple of close encounters later they admitted that some Florida Cougars MAY have been reintroduced into our area, again reminding us of the deep doo- doo scenario.
Cougars are common where I live and hunting permits are sold by the state games and fish department.