PT 1430 mower

/ PT 1430 mower #1  

bbabineau

Silver Member
Got my mower out to start spring mowing. Changed the blades and mower will not run. Checked the PTO switch and it seems to be fine. So how can I see if the pump is working as it should? Or what else can be the problem.

/ PT 1430 mower #2  
When you flip the PTO switch, do you see the hoses to and from the mower tense up like they're getting pressure?

When you flip the PTO switch, do you hear the engine bog down at all?

/ PT 1430 mower #4  
disconnect mower hoses, flip switch, does engine rpm drop and hoses tense up? If not, look for loose elect connections, blown fuses etc? Use test light on PTo switch, does it have power, is it sending power out when switched?

/ PT 1430 mower #5  
My PTO solenoid valve routinely sticks if it has been unused for an extended period and I end up having to dismantle the valve cartridge and clean (technically they say this can not be done but works for me). I do not know if you have a similar setup or not.

Ken

/ PT 1430 mower #6  
I believe if you can easily get to the valve solenoid, the cylinder shaped portion with wires going into it will be a strong magnet when the PTO switch is actuated. So hold a small wrench close, flip the PTO switch on and you should feel a slight attraction between the wrench and that electro magnetic portion of the valve. (you should also try a test light on the wire if no magnetic field is found)

My PT018 gas tractor sometimes has a dead ignition switch after sitting for long periods. As I move the wires to troubleshoot, it goes back to normal so I can never pinpoint it.

By doing this troubleshooting, you are separating the electrical system from the hydraulic system portion and if electrical, it may correct itself as mine does, so periodically start and check operation.

You have to be careful with this suggestion, but if you determine the magnetic field is present, then with the engine running and PTO switch on, lightly tap on the valve and it may cycle.

When you check your hydraulic oil, is it clean and clear or cloudy/milky in appearance?

/ PT 1430 mower
Working with Terry I have dismantled the PTO valve. I have electrical power at the valve but no magnetic field is present so off the valve went to Terry for diagnosis and I assume repair or replacement.

/ PT 1430 mower #8  
If you are 100% sure you have good power and good ground and no magnetic field, the magnet (like a long light bulb filament) is burnt out. Some (most) are just a coil and can be replaced fairly easy.