pt422 overheating+etc.?

/ pt422 overheating+etc.? #11  
Ken:
I have owned a pt422 for over two and one half years,with no problems to date 380 hours on meter. We have mowed in temperatures from 40 degrees to over 90 degrees with no overheating problems. My wife and I mow about 5 acres with the 48 inch mower in about 3 hours. MOST OF THE MOWING IS ON ROUGH HILLY GROUND, SLOPES UP TO ABOUT 25 DEGREES. I think you will love your new toy.

/ pt422 overheating+etc.? #12  
Ken,
I have a 422 and the 60" mower. I've had no problems with overheating, but it does "diesel" a bit when I shut it down after it has warmed up. The mower has worked fine for me, but my lot is fairly flat. When I was doing my test drive, Sean suggested that the 48" mower was better (i.e. more stable) if you had to mow a lot of slopes.

Please get the ROPS. We discussed on this forum a couple weeks ago how the 4xx's will start to tip well before you get the max load on the front. Anyone remember which thread that was? Also, as PTRich noted, it's where the lights should be mounted.

You're really going to enjoy this thing...

Scott

/ pt422 overheating+etc.? #13  
Ken,
That's great news...This may be all it takes to get me off the fence... Here's a previous discussion on 422/Robin you may have read...
http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin...owertrac&Number=70483&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

I did call Robin once(Woodale,Ill. /tech supp) about design angle of operation and it was within 1or 2 degrees of the Kohler(~25deg approx.) so no worries there about reduced slope capability...
...One ? for current Robin users that I have...Are (oil & air) filters readily available through aftermarket sources??

/ pt422 overheating+etc.? #14  
Bruce,
I found oil filters at the nearest (40 miles) Robin dealer/certified maintenance shop. Since it's a little haul, I just buy two or three when I'm there. Also have some cross refs somewhere in one of these threads. I can look them up again later if you like, but I do recall cross refs to both Kawasaki and John Deer oil filters.

That $6K deal on 422s is great. Almost makes me want to get another one./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Scott

/ pt422 overheating+etc.? #15  
I get both oil, hydraulic and air filters from a local dealer, a sterns 050-777 oil filter replaces the robin oil filter and we did a slight modification to the air filter and a kohler 47 083 03 will work, and the hydraulic filter a gresen k22001 can be found locally or it will cross with a purolator h32010.

/ pt422 overheating+etc.? #16  
$6,000 for a 4 wheel drive tractor is awesome, you will love your purchase. The durability of these machines is incredible. It would be nicer to have it quieter but is nice being able to start the engine quickly no matter how cold it is. Because the implements are so easily changed you will find them very usefull.

/ pt422 overheating+etc.? #17  
If any of you are familiar with the Onan brand, the new OHV Onan's are just re-stickered Robin engines. So, if there are any dealers around that sell/service Onan engines they will be able to help you with service/filters/parts for the new Robin engine as well.

Here is the page for the Onan (restickered Robin) engine.
http://www.cummins.com/na/pdf/en/products/powergeneration/OEPerOHV20.pdf

/ pt422 overheating+etc.? #18  
Tim,

Thanks for the info. I did not know that.

duane

/ pt422 overheating+etc.? #19  
Thank You, all, for the filter references...I just talked with the Robin dist. in Elkhorn Wi. and the girl read down a list of dealers in Ill.(she wishes it was on their website ,too)...looks like there's a handful(of dealers) within a couple miles of where I work (and 30 miles in any direction from where I live)...Good enough.

I've got a high confidence level in this overall machine(motor,hydraulics,factory support,etc.)due
TOTALLY to the pioneering efforts and shared experience of this group of PT enthusiasts!!
Having no prior experience with this type of equipment, you all have me convinced(hoodwinked??) that I
can do this ,too....And, so, I did call Sean to put my name on his "hot" list while I arrange "financials".

On a side note, a friend has a JD 445 4ws/60"/snowblade that listed at over 11.5k and and he's amazed
(no surprise here) at the value in this (now) 6k unit plus tools(lot's of 'em).

Bruce