PTO not engaging

/ PTO not engaging #1  

Abooms

Tractor
new holland tc29da
I just a bought a 2005 new holland TC29da with 600 hundred hours, I made sure everything worked when I bought it. I made sure the PTO would turn on but the seller didn't have anything to out a load on the PTO. I just a bought a used 72inch finish mower. When I tried to engage the PTO the PTO would only grind and not engage. I made sure to push the clutch in every time but still would only grind. Any thoughts on what it could be?

/ PTO not engaging #2  
I just a bought a 2005 new holland TC29da with 600 hundred hours, I made sure everything worked when I bought it. I made sure the PTO would turn on but the seller didn't have anything to out a load on the PTO. I just a bought a used 72inch finish mower. When I tried to engage the PTO the PTO would only grind and not engage. I made sure to push the clutch in every time but still would only grind. Any thoughts on what it could be?

My ‘05 TC30 will sometimes be hard to put into gear or engage the PTO. If I let off the clutch, press the HST pedal (while out of gear), and reengage the clutch to shift PTO, this usually works. My tractor had a hard life before me, so it is quirky.