PTO Slip Clutch

/ PTO Slip Clutch #1  

Kremmling Cowboy

Just purchased a 48" brush hog for my BX 2230, and it has a shear bolt. Whats the thought of putting a slip clutch on the PTO shaft...

/ PTO Slip Clutch #2  
I'm assuming you mean putting a slip clutch on the mower. That's where mine is. If your talking about a clutch on the pto I'm not familiar with that.

I bought a brush hog a few years ago with a shear bolt with the idea that I will see if the shear bolt is a problem before thinking about a slip clutch. One day I went through three shear bolts in 2 foot high orchard grass. I ordered a slip clutch the next day.

Slip clutch can be tricky to adjust, but works great if you can get it right. My mower is not a bush hog brand, I can't remember the make right now (it's red, has an "I" beam in the logo?), but I was able to leave the shear bolt on there with the slip clutch. That way, if the clutch is improperly adjusted or if it freezes up you're still protected.

/ PTO Slip Clutch
Yes I would mount the slip clutch on the PTO shaft at the implement... Sounds like slip clutch is the way to go... Thanks

/ PTO Slip Clutch #4  
Depending on what you are mowing I wouldn't waste the time or the money. The shear bolts are not that bad to work with as most people move what they hit when changing the shear bolt. This normally works on your own property and if you are going out to commercially mow then I'd say you bought the wrong unit. The slip clutches seize up from lack of maintence after a few years and then you take out the gear box anyway.

/ PTO Slip Clutch #5  
art said:
most people move what they hit when changing the shear bolt.

Most of what I hit in our orchards are burried boulders that just have a little piece of them poking out. Stumps are almost as hard to move. For some people a slip clutch is the way to go.

/ PTO Slip Clutch #6  
Greetings;

I bought a slip clutch for my older Ford tractor with the thought being, it takes a fair amount of grunt to break a shear bolt and all of that force is hard on the whole drive train of the tractor. Although I haven't set it up yet I intend to use it on my PTO chipper which has stalled my tractor a number of times.

Cheers, Erik