Pulling with 2 tractors

/ Pulling with 2 tractors #11  
I think that the really important issue for parallel versus in line pulling is that first chain or cable. Can it safely handle the total stress applied to it.

Now if you are using a chain with 1/4" links and two garden tractors then not to worry. However if planning on using a couple of 5 or 6 ton tractors to pull something then your looking at up to 48,000 pounds of tension. What size chain or cable is needed for that? Your looking at a cable that is close to 1 1/8" diameter.

Was using a 4020 John Deere to pull something. Without thinking grabbed a chain with 1/4" links. The tractor didn't strain, but the chain was stretched to the point that the links would no longer swivel on each other!

You should really know what the rating is for the chain or cable that you are planning to use.

/ Pulling with 2 tractors #12  
Another issue with pulling in series is that tractors don't have frames. The engine, transmission and rear axel's are the frames. It is possible to break a tractor in half - I have seen it!

Jack

/ Pulling with 2 tractors #13  
Something I've heard many times is that when pulling with a tractor...
Always pull backwards. If you attach a chain to the back of a tractor and go forward against a heavy load, the front can raise up and roll over on you.

/ Pulling with 2 tractors #14  
Series pulling puts tension on the middle vehicle that the frame/chassis may not withstand. In the owners manual for Warn winches they instruct you to NEVER tie off the back of a vehicle( to a tree, other vehicle etc...) as the winch is capable of twisting the frame out of square if not tearing it in two. If you are to tie off the vehicle the strap or cable must be attached to the same point as the winch to keep the stress on the winch alone.

/ Pulling with 2 tractors #15  
Here on the farm I've sunk every tractor & combine I have, usually several times a year. My problem is being alone, finding drivers for the multiple pulls..... Learn to drag them out a foot at a time with one tractor....

We typically go series, one tractor in front of the other. Trick is the rear tractor gets a lot of pull, that first chain needs to be strong, and you can chain the front tractor to the hitch of the rear tractor - not pulling through the rear tractor, but from the hitch frame.

If folks driving are not used to clutches & tractors, the danger is popped clutchs, broken chains. We put a car tire in the line, it acts as a shock absorber.

No point in trying to pull in reverse, you will need all the traction you can get, tractor tires are directional with the angled ribs, you will need to pull forwards to get anywhere.

There are many, many safety issues with breaking chain/ cable, tractor front ends rearing up, bending or twisting frames, etc. One fellow a few states over hooked up 2 tractors to his newish $200,000 green tractor, bent the frame of it. Shot himself over it.....

Anyhow, be safe, too many issues to cover, but typically out on the farm we hook up one tractor behind the other for tis type of work.

--->Paul

/ Pulling with 2 tractors #16  
I got two stories to tell.

First one when I was a kid (in the 60's) the local large dairy farm rented the ground across the road. Right across from our house was a swamp that had been tiled and drained. Well they buried their JD 4020. Came back with another large JD and buried that. Brought yet another JD and buried that! Finally got the bulldozer man to bring his cat and pulled them all out. Hooked in series!

Second story. Neighbors across the road from me now collect old tractors (don't farm as they only have two acres). They was moving them around and hooked three together in series, but only had two drivers. The lead tractor took off (only tractor that was running). The second tractor which had the other driver on it was at an angle and when the chain went tight it flipped on its side in about two seconds. Lucky the driver jumped clear. It was a small Allis-Chalmers C hooked between two larger tractors.

ksmmoto