"Pumpkin"

/ "Pumpkin" #31  
Re: \"Pumpkin\"

Bird, those top notch reds came from the bantys with the topnotch! Ain't sure who did what, but they were strange looking! That particular billy was on my Dad's pooh list from the 3rd day (age that is), he ate dad's newspaper, and later on in life, developed a habit of butting the back door, knocking it open if the latch wasn't secure. Dad chased him out of the house with a hatchet when he woke up to cold nose in the face at 2 or 3 in the morning. Billy's can be a royal pain, we had a couple nannies also as we had one cousin that was alergic to dairy products, but could drink goats milk, and eat goat butter.
When I was a youngster, we always kept 4-6 stock horses around, as Dad had 980 some odd acres, and another 1000 in BLM lease. Both brothers still keep horses and milk cows, but I think they're nuts. The horses cost to much to maintain for anything other than work, and milk cows are just a pain any way you look at it. Besides, for family use, they are not cost effective.
P.S. the billy we had was a free-roaming, curse causing, hind end thumper from way back....right up to the day Dad shot him in the rear with rock salt! He was awful wary after that.

/ "Pumpkin" #32  

Bird,
I can remember when my grandfather chicken would come in Sears Robucks.

Our Post Office wouldn't deliver mail once rut season started on the dirt roads. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Yep life was easier but yet harder. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ "Pumpkin"

The Post Office still delivers baby chicks... but they don't like it if I don't come down and get them right away. The "cheeping" drives 'em crazy. Had to quit raising chickens this year as I've had bobcats wipe me out the last two years in a row and an owl once before. Have to build an "Alcatraz" chicken coop before I raise birds again. Used to raise goats once upon a time too, but no billies. Sometimes I made cheese from the milk and would make small quantities of butter from fresh cow's milk using a blender. This store bought stuff that lasts for weeks or months makes me wonder what all is put into it.

Traded in the glass slippers for Sorels (felt pack boots) this last week. We're getting hit hard with snow today - tonite or tomorrow will be the first time using pumpkin for snow removal. The backhoe never saw dirt and probably won't till spring /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif cause I spent so much time brush hogging till snow hit. Put the rear blade on this weekend and am ready for what winter has to dish out. It's so windy thru my place that I had a negative snow fall last night - i.e. even though it snowed like crazy, it blew away whatever came down and whatever was already there right down to the ground. Believe me, the heated cab will be appreciated!

For all you with kids at home - you can't even imagine how rich you feel when you're not supporting kids any more!

Pat (Techno-Tractor Mom)

/ "Pumpkin" #34  

Pat, I can appreciate your viewpoint on kids. When our youngest girl was 15.5 years of age, the wife and I were talking about "Gee, two more years or so, and we'll be able to take off and travel some".....well two months later, she made the "Guess what" comment! We now have a 12 year old at home, 7 grand-daughters, and Lord only knows how many more years!! Wouldn't trade him in though. He's definately a keeper.

/ "Pumpkin" #35  

Scruffy, And I can appreciate your viewpoint. I have a daughter that graduates from college next year, and twins (boy-girl) in kindergarden.
ErnieB

/ "Pumpkin" #36  

ErnieB, I can see you have a similar spread in ages. Our oldest is 31, and they trickle down 30,29,28, and 12. We've never put one of them with a baby sitter, but it sure would be something different to try! Maybe someday.

/ "Pumpkin" #37  

Yes,life is full of surprises.We have two daughters that have blessed us with 7 grandchildren,and we have a 5 year old son in Kindergarden.Our first grandson is older than our son.Everybody will be here today for dinner,there will be 8 little ones,the oldest being 6,running around most of the day...Happy Thanksgiving to everyone,and enjoy the time with your families.