Question? Buying a Jubilee

/ Question? Buying a Jubilee #1  

Eric_Whitney

Tractor
Ford 1210
I am thinking about buying a Ford Jubilee from a friend of mine. This will be my first tractor purchase, we are moving onto a 3.2 acre lot. It is relatively flat and I want to use the tractor for brush hogging and just moving stuff around the lot. He has restored it to a descent condition. He is asking $4500.00

I have the following question for all of you tractor experts:

Is $4500 too much? I see all kinds of parts and restoration guides for all the N series tractors but not too much about the Jubilee and NAA. Are parts going to hard to find? Can any parts from the N series be used on the Jubilee? Did the Jubilee have “live” PTO?

If you guy’s could help point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks for the input!!

I have attached a picture of the tractor with this post.

Eric W.

Attachments

• 291972-Jubilee2.jpg
    291972-Jubilee2.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 844
   / Question? Buying a Jubilee #2  
Beautiful tractor!!

But I think $4500 may be a little high. He may be pricing it based on his restoration, and is considering it as a collectible tractor, and not something to use.

The Jubilee does have a live PTO, and parts are easy to get. Most tractor supply stores will stock them or can order them. I think many if not all parts for the NAA fit the Jubilee.

The Jubilee is a great tractor, and you'll be very happy with it, especially for your intended use, but I'd try to get the price down.

/ Question? Buying a Jubilee #3  
Looks nice. You will fine alot of places that sell N stuff, also sell some jubilee/NAA stuff.

/ Question? Buying a Jubilee #4  
In the last 2 years I picked up an 8n and a NAA and did a decent refurb on them. ( 1953 was called a jubilee.. 1954 is a NAA... same tractor ).

There are some minor parts that will swap back and forth on the NAA and 8n.. engine components will be different, as the naa has a OHV engine and the N's had a flathead.

There are also a few hyd parts that are actually NAA parts, that fit the 8n.. for instance, if you rebuild an 8n lift cylinder.. the only piston/ring set available is from the NAA.. etc.

From the factory, the jub's were not live pto.. however there was a live pto kit... it is considered rare.. but if it has one, it makes it nice. Jub's hyds' however are live, as it is a pump driven off the rear of the engine.

That unit looks sweet, and even has weights on it... still 4500... I would have to see it up close... perhaps 4000 .. hard to say.. just sounds a bit high.

Another thing to look for is the left hand running board.. it was originally a tool box, many of them rusted out and were replaced with just a flat running board from an 8n... if the tool box is intact.. this is another point of value. Ask if it has an aux tranny.. like a hupp or sherman..etc.. these also add a bit of value.

If ya got any questions, let me know... I use both of my N's on a weekly basis.

Soundguy

/ Question? Buying a Jubilee #5  
Soundguy is right!! I confused live hydraulics with live pto. Only the hydraulics are live on the Jubilee.

Sorry!!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Question? Buying a Jubilee #6  
Eric, I've had a '54 Jubilee for 9 years and I love it. For your 3.2 acres, it will be all the tractor you will ever need. You will miss not having a loader, but if you get a dirt scoop and a boom pole, you will be able to do many of the things you'd use a loader for.
Here are my suggestions on pricing. First, $4,500 is a "primo" price for the Jubilee. It should be in near factory condition for that price. Has it been recently overhauled? Will the hydraulics hold a load without dropping after you turn off the engine? Lift something really heavy to make sure the hydraulics will lift their rated capacity. Does the clutch engage smoothly? Does the proofmeter work? Are there any sounds (clicking noises) coming from the transmission or the hydraulic pump under load? What is the oil pressure (it should maintain at least 40 to 50 psi when cold). Let it run for 1/2 hour and check that the temperature is not above 160 to 180. After the tractor is fully warmed up, does it smoke? Does it miss? Check the plugs and make sure they are all dry. Check the rear brakes to make sure both left and right brakes work equally well. Check the engine oil for signs of water (milky). Remove the radiator cap and have someone put the engine under load (set brakes, put in 3rd gear, let up slightly on the clutch). While the engine is under load, does air bubble up in the radiator? You should see the water rolling, but no air bubbles indicating a blown head gasket.

Lastly, look at the oil in the engine, transmission, and rear differential case. All should look good and no indication of water (old tractors can have leaks into these areas). While checking, look for any leaks or drips.

Just a few things I noticed from the photo. The system is still 6 volts. A 12 volt system conversion would add about $250 to $300 to the value. It will also make it start instantly and run very smoothly. Also, you need a front bumper. I love mine and it has a place for a trailer ball to mount. It's perfect for moving trailers and such things as boats.

Almost any Jubilee in decent condition is worth $3000. Good conditin is worth $3500 to $3800. $4500 is top of the line. If your friend has spent a lot of money on repairs and new tires, that's too bad. Just like a car, you may never get your money back if you do an engine/transmission overhaul and buy new tires just before selling a used car. I think you should make him a substantially lower price.

When it comes to parts, you can get any part for that tractor from a New Holland dealer or any of several 3rd party suppliers. New body parts, gas tanks, wheels, bearings, gears, etc., etc.. It's all available. Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Question? Buying a Jubilee #7  
If that tractor were selling in TN where there were many of these tractors sold the selling price would usually be no more than 3,000 tops. The Ford Jubilee was a good utility tractor but the next generation (600,800) were better tractors and they can be purchased for about the same price.

/ Question? Buying a Jubilee #8  
As for the 6v system.. it is decent if he likes originality.. if he needs 12v.. then i agree with you.. it is a few hundred dollar value. My naa has a 12v kit.. nice bracket, etc.. though I did have to do some hand fitting on the bracket to make everything happy.. though only took a few minutes with a file.

And again.. I agree.. the front bumper is a must on a tractor.. the radiator sufferes heavilly otherwise. The fornt ball mount comes in handy for moving my trailer around in tight areas too. That bumper is about oh.. 70 dollars or so at TSC stores.. might need some longer bolts.. but otherwise fits 'right out of the box'.. mine needed no adjustments to make the holes line up.

Soundguy

/ Question? Buying a Jubilee
Thanks for all the input!! I am glad I asked the question about pricing. I am going to see if he would take $3000.00

I'll keep you posted on the purchase.

Thanks again

Eric