Question TC35 vs TC40 engine

/ Question TC35 vs TC40 engine #1  

Anonymous Poster

I see the TC35 has a 3 cylinder engine and the TC40 has a 4 cylinder, any gear heads or mechanics have an opinion which motor would likely handle more hours or which is more efficient? I realy like the blue and may make a purchase soon for one with a loader.

/ Question TC35 vs TC40 engine #2  
Curtis,
If you look thru all of the specs the TC40 kinda needs that extra cylinder.

That extra horse power can come in handy at times,also the engine works little easier.

Depending on your use the TC35 looks like a fine machine but don't forget about Kubota,for Kubota there to make your life easier. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Question TC35 vs TC40 engine #3  
Curtis, there have been some discussions on this and other forums in the past about 3 vs 4 cylinders, but I don't recall any definitive answer that would make one better than the other. I've had both, but that would not be a decisive factor in making a purchase. Some think the 4 cylinder might be smoother (I lean toward that theory myself), but I've also read theories that the 3 cylinder might be smoother. Of course, in the unlikely event that any major work was required, I guess the 3 cylinder would have the advantage of fewer parts. My personal opinion is that the one you like best is best.

Bird

/ Question TC35 vs TC40 engine
I was considering buying a orange L3010 untill I read that the TC35 has TWICE the lift and breakout force with it's 16la loader than the 3010, it seems to be more comfortable and by the book specs more powerful reliability is what I'm after.

/ Question TC35 vs TC40 engine #5  
Curtis, I have the TC40D and couldn't be happier. The 4 cyl motor is super smooth and vibration free. I have approximately 100 hours on my new tractor and have had absolutely no problems and no regrets on my decision. The ergonomics are unsurpassed by other brands I seriously considered. Good luck! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Sam

"I love the smell of diesel in the morning."
Cummins powered 24V Dodge Rams rule!

/ Question TC35 vs TC40 engine #6  
Curtis,

Like Sam, I am a TC40D owner. I considered the TC35D and TC40D and the cylinder count was one of the reasons I ended up with the TC40D. Test drive both of them and see what you think and feel. My wife and I both thought the 4 cylinder felt smoother.

DaveV

/ Question TC35 vs TC40 engine #7  
Curtis,

First let me say Iam not a mechnic but an operator. I was told by a dealer that the three cylinders engines do not have to be externally balanced. Where as the four does. Anybody now if this is true or not? By the way I run a deere with a three cylinder that seems alot smoother then the threes out there now..(its a 75 model) Personally if you can afford it Id get the four cylinder...

/ Question TC35 vs TC40 engine #8  
Curtis, you should be able to notice any "smoothness" difference just by listening to them at the dealer. I have older 3 cylinder diesel International and a four cylinder Ford/New Hollnd 2120. Guess which one is quieter as well as smoother, the 3 cylinder. It also has far greater power as then the New Holland, and understandably so, it has 175" of displacement. Many large tractors use 3 cylinder diesels, some even use 5 cylinders. The inherent advantage of diesel in creating torque over a comparable gas engine has little to do with the number of cylinders. Ford and GM use V8 diesels while Cummins builds a I6 for the Dodge truck. There is plenty of banter about the merits of one over the other, but rarely is it because of the lack of 2 cylinders. Even today, I believe the New Holland 445 tractor uses a 3 cylinder, and it is not only very smooth, but has substantial power. If it were me, I'd get the TC45D with SuperSteer, but then I always want the biggest, if you have your heart set on the TC 30 but are worried about 3's vs 4's, don't be. Best of joy, Rat...

/ Question TC35 vs TC40 engine
Naturally an in-line engine with a mutiple of 3 cylinders is balanced. Therefore an in-line 6 cylinder is better balanced than a V6. If you look at the front pulley on on the crankshaft on a 3 cylinder it is very plain with no weighting usually. Manufacturers are doing a better job on all engines now and you may not notice the difference.

/ Question TC35 vs TC40 engine #10  
Curtis, I'll ring in here with my opinion. As far as engine vibration goes, my TC35d is a confortable ride as you could ask for. At 2000rpm it just purrs. The only time thus far that I could see that a tc40 would be a little more helpful is when I was in high gear and in the rabbit choice going down the road full bore, came to a uphill grade and I could tell the engine was working overtime to provide power to keep up the speed. I backed off the foot HST and slowed a little and all was well. Of course, clicking the turtle would have done much the same(couldn't do that witha 'bota).
As far as the NH I think the great options that you could read from my many other postiings are really a super choice.
Good luck
gary