Quick release battery terminals

/ Quick release battery terminals #1  

Larry Caldwell

Tractor
Kubota l3130
I don't often pass on ads for free, but this item makes my life easier. If you have ever struggled to wire a travel trailer battery isolator, electric brake controller, inverter, and Tx radio power onto a factory battery terminal, this product is for you.

/ Quick release battery terminals #2  
I believe all the variations for this product (only in name) on Amazon and E-Bay are all made by the same company. I bought two and installed one on my neighbor's truck he seldom uses to stop a dead battery problem and to fix a weak wire problem. I bought the hydraulic wire crimper from Northern Tools and made new cable eyelet ends. He had trouble originally trying to tighten it down OVER the terminal post, I said no, just tighten the handle in the exact same manner as the positive terminal, where I zip tied the handle to the side of the connector so he would be forced to do the negative cable to disconnect it. Plus, keep it tight. I showed him to slightly tighten it with the knob if loose.

It has worked out great so far, time will tell.

I read some of the one star reviews, one was a guy with a diesel Dodge with dual batteries (maybe it was dual alternators) complained they were smaller then they appeared in the ad and they melted. Yea, these are not meant for 160+ amp alternators or 2 gauge cables in a diesel truck for $10 🙃

Though I think they work finer for 120 amp and under alternators, that run a 6 gauge wire, where the electrical system is not pulling high amps (500) all at once like a diesel starter or high powered stereo will.

Well in his defense the ad does show a picture of a semi.

/ Quick release battery terminals #3  
I read some of the one star reviews, one was a guy with a diesel Dodge with dual batteries (maybe it was dual alternators) complained they were smaller then they appeared in the ad and they melted. Yea, these are not meant for 160+ amp alternators or 2 gauge cables in a diesel truck for $10 🙃

Though I think they work finer for 120 amp and under alternators, that run a 6 gauge wire, where the electrical system is not pulling high amps (500) all at once like a diesel starter or high powered stereo will.
I wonder if you could remove the clamping mechanism and screw to use with a regular lead battery connector to make it easy to clamp and unclamp, and still have it work with a high amp system?

/ Quick release battery terminals #4  
On my farm tractors (that sit over the winter not used) I just use a knife switch on the positive terminal to isolate the starting battery. You can get them at any discount auto parts store or online from Amazon and they will handle heavy amperage loads, no problem. Also a good theft deterrent when they sit in a remote field away from the farm. You open the switch, it won't start.

The problem with breaking out the battery with any vehicle or tractor with a ECM is , the ECM requires some small current to maintain it's memory so with no juice, it could get ' amnesia ' and that could present a problem for you. In my case, my tractors are mechanical so on ECM to worry about.

The knife switch disconnect seems much simpler to me.

/ Quick release battery terminals #5  
I wonder if you could remove the clamping mechanism and screw to use with a regular lead battery connector to make it easy to clamp and unclamp, and still have it work with a high amp system?
While upgrading from a lead terminal end to a brass end is a good move, these aren't that heavily built. If you have a big diesel, or other high draw system, I would just wire in a switch large enough to take the load.

@Larry Caldwell thanks for the tip on these!

All the best, Peter

/ Quick release battery terminals
In the past I have wired in a fused terminal block to prevent fires and meltdowns. I never wire an unfused circuit to a 12 volt auto battery. That would be nuts. Any parts house can sell you a fuse block compatible with your vehicle fuses so you don't have to carry two types. I assume everyone here carries a set of spare fuses in their jockey box. The heaviest load I have ever wired was a 3kw (peak) inverter that draws 250 amps.

/ Quick release battery terminals #7