Rail roads and their tracks.

BoylermanCT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Montana R2844, Hustler X-One
My dad and I flew out to Wyoming fall of 2019 to see the Big Boy for a weekend on its way to California. Had a great time chasing the train. Would love to see it again as part of a longer vacation out West.

RobS

Tractor
None!
There was a write-up some years back on the logistics of running a steam engine across country in modern times. It was factual, but written with humor. The thing I remember the most is the water supply given that there aren't water towers along the tracks like there used to be. Their comment was something along the lines of "you don't just run into Walmart and grab 20,000 gallons of water". I wish I could find that story...

Hay Dude

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson & Kubota
Heading to western states this July.
Can anyone recommend any amazing day rail excursions? Probably be flying into Denver.
It would actually be a great thread “Post best rail excursions here”

MossRoad

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
There was a write-up some years back on the logistics of running a steam engine across country in modern times. It was factual, but written with humor. The thing I remember the most is the water supply given that there aren't water towers along the tracks like there used to be. Their comment was something along the lines of "you don't just run into Walmart and grab 20,000 gallons of water". I wish I could find that story...
Hence the term 'jerk water town'.

OP
ArlyA

ArlyA

Elite Member
Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
We maintain a trail in the National Forest on a Bob lake and at a campground that was a watering station for a logging line. These are RR's put in to log out a section of forest, then pulled up and moved elsewhere. Boilers take good water or there maintence goes up. I looked for a historical link of that RR in particular but can not locate one at this moment. They typically ran for about 20 years.

the old grind

Elite Member
Tractor
NH T-1520 HST, NH TC33DA HST, Case DX26 HST, .Terramite T5C, . NH L785
'Troughs' between the rails in England and water scoops on tenders. (some here too) Cheaper to build/fill than water towers.

BoylermanCT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Montana R2844, Hustler X-One
I've seen pics of steam trains on tour being filled up by small town fire trucks and tankers.

caver

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fisher Price, toddlers first tractor.
Can anyone recommend any amazing day rail excursions? Probably be flying into Denver.
There's an excursion that goes up through Royal Gorge. I also see they have reopened the Pikes Peak cog railway this year. I did that years ago and enjoyed it. I walked up on the first train in the morning and a few seats had not sold. Looks like reservations would be the way with it being closed since 2017. Durango Silverton another steam narrow gauge but much farther away from Denver.

buckeyefarmer

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4

Durango to silverton.