Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks.
   / Rail roads and their tracks. #935  
As seen in Chamberlain SD at a state owned RR yard. I've not seen these 4 axle trucks in operation before. Seems this GM unit has sat here for some time. No idea if the V-12 came out of it, but it was parked right next to it. View attachment 698244View attachment 698246View attachment 698248
That's not one of the engines out of the DDA40X. They were powered by two EMD V16 645 series engines, 3300hp each.
After downloading the images, I can see "ALCO" cast into the covers on the side of the V12 engine, so it's out of an Alco locomotive of some sort.
The 4 axle trucks are the largest ever made for a locomotive, and were made by Rockwell, I believe.
I have an HO scale model of the DDA35, that looks similar, but has the older low nose cab.

Last edited:
   / Rail roads and their tracks. #936  
Do all of the wheels on the 4 axle truck have flanges? I recall an HO model ages ago that only had flanges on the front/rear axles to let it deal with the tighter curves. Maybe not a big deal on full scale as the curves aren't as tight as a model railroad.

Agree with Moss, love this stuff!

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #937  
I just read where local RR company (East Penn/ Regional Rail) bought up 2 more short lines in Central Florida and Coastal Carolina and opened up another short line nearby in SEPA.
They are expanding and combining control of several short lines to be controlled by one company.
I hope they expand responsibly and don’t get into “trouble”.

Last edited:
Do all of the wheels on the 4 axle truck have flanges? I recall an HO model ages ago that only had flanges on the front/rear axles to let it deal with the tighter curves. Maybe not a big deal on full scale as the curves aren't as tight as a model railroad.

Agree with Moss, love this stuff!
The HO may be doing sharper radius corners than normal trains do. I'm pretty sure that all the dri9ve wheels have flanges.

Last edited:
   / Rail roads and their tracks. #939  
RE: South Dakota. The lines beyond Kadoka have been pulled up via satellite views. I was looking at this section a couple weeks ago possibly via an entry on Abandoned Rails website. I'm always looking for places to take my little railcar.

RE: South Dakota. The lines beyond Kadoka have been pulled up via satellite views. I was looking at this section a couple weeks ago possibly via an entry on Abandoned Rails website. I'm always looking for places to take my little railcar.
That RR grade would kill me boredom wise....