Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #941  
Do all of the wheels on the 4 axle truck have flanges? I recall an HO model ages ago that only had flanges on the front/rear axles to let it deal with the tighter curves. Maybe not a big deal on full scale as the curves aren't as tight as a model railroad.

Agree with Moss, love this stuff!
Yes, the wheels on all four axles have flanges. The truck is made with the ability of the center two axles to move side to side a small amount to accommodate turns.
Some of the large non-articulated steam engines that had 5 or 6 drive axles all on one rigid frame had an axle or two with wheels with no flange on them to negotiate curves in yards and sidings.

/ Rail roads and their tracks.
How on earth did that that huge DDA40X unit end up at the yard in Chamberlain SD??????

/ Rail roads and their tracks.
Yes, the wheels on all four axles have flanges. The truck is made with the ability of the center two axles to move side to side a small amount to accommodate turns.
Some of the large non-articulated steam engines that had 5 or 6 drive axles all on one rigid frame had an axle or two with wheels with no flange on them to negotiate curves in yards and sidings.
I thought the BIG boy 4014 had flanges on all its drive wheels.

DSC_0996.jpg

The 1.2 million-lb. Union Pacific Big Boy 4014 steam locomotive rolls through Des Plaines near West Park off Wolf Road Thursday. (Tom Robb/Journal photo)

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #944  
I thought the BIG boy 4014 had flanges on all its drive wheels.

The 1.2 million-lb. Union Pacific Big Boy 4014 steam locomotive rolls through Des Plaines near West Park off Wolf Road Thursday. (Tom Robb/Journal photo)
It does, but it's an articulated design. It's basically two four axle engines connected with a pivot in the center. The rear trailing truck and rear drive axles are mounted solidly to the cab/firebox/boiler structure. The forward drive axles and leading truck are connected at the rear to the front of the rear drive axle frame with a bigass pin assembly. Also the front of the boiler hanging out over the front drive axles and truck has a roller assembly that let the front drive axle assembly support the front of the boiler. When going around a curve, the front assembly will swing out to one side of the boiler.

This is a model, but shows how it works,
Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #945  
I was thinking of a nice school building built in 1890s and torn down in 1954, then the school built to replace it was stopped being used in early 2000s and now torn down. Both were stone/ block/ brick buildings and looked nice.

Throw away isn’t a new thing, but lifespans seem shorter when taxpayer money is involved.
What gets me is when one government body decides the building is costing too much to maintain and that they need a new building and get and move to that building and then another government entity sees the empty space of the old building and moves in and fixes it up. Its still my taxes paying for both but we must not have a standard for defining the cost of maintaining a building. This is especially true when it comes to government expanding.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #948  
The bottom line is the bottom line. Diesel locomotives are less expensive to own and operate than steam.
...and you can shut a diesel electric off while you cannot a steam loco when it's idle. Only time they get shut down is a long period of inactivity or maintenance.

I suspect with rising fuel prices, Idling diesel loco's will become less and less.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #949  
All true, but i imagine there was a time before diesel locomotives were even thought of, that the steam locomotives had a live time based on similar deciding factors, i.e. bottom line, but not because a diesel locomotive was a viable alternative. For instance, could they run a year before repairs were too expensive, or two?

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #950  
Here are current steam locomotive regulations.

Bruce