Ram vs Dodge/Chrysler - how complete is the separation?

/ Ram vs Dodge/Chrysler - how complete is the separation? #121  
When members come to the big rig forum (trailers & transportation) and try to justify their 1/2 ton gassers, sorry, I just gotta:)

/ Ram vs Dodge/Chrysler - how complete is the separation? #122  
More crank bearing support with in line.

HP? mabes , but I want more torque, not more HP

And consequently suck down more $4/G fuel, so there’s that.

Are you kidding? 7.3L Powerstrokes were widely known for cavitation.

Which also means lots more expensive, more air plumbing, more to break and LOTS of width under the hood. Can you say complicated/high cost of ownership?

Lots of excellent points.

/ Ram vs Dodge/Chrysler - how complete is the separation? #123  
When members come to the big rig forum (trailers & transportation) and try to justify their 1/2 ton gassers, sorry, I just gotta:)
We need to know how big of a rig we need, so we don't get laughed at when posting here.

/ Ram vs Dodge/Chrysler - how complete is the separation? #124  
Not a V in the bunch!
But when Caterpillar needed a REAL engine to put in their big equipment they went with a V. Either V16 or V20, take your pick. The V16 is what is in our haul trucks at the mines I worked at. And for those of you who are scared of a turbocharged engine...this thing runs 4 of them.

Cat C175.jpg

16,500 lb-ft of torque!

Cat C175 pic.jpg

/ Ram vs Dodge/Chrysler - how complete is the separation? #125  
But when Caterpillar needed a REAL engine to put in their big equipment they went with a V. Either V16 or V20, take your pick. The V16 is what is in our haul trucks at the mines I worked at. And for those of you who are scared of a turbocharged engine...this thing runs 4 of them.

View attachment 868205

16,500 lb-ft of torque!

View attachment 868206
That’s peanuts.
Straight 14 cylinder….
5.6 million ft-lb torque

/ Ram vs Dodge/Chrysler - how complete is the separation? #126  
Last edited:
   / Ram vs Dodge/Chrysler - how complete is the separation? #127  

View attachment 868205

16,500 lb-ft of torque!

View attachment 868206

I wonder if that diesel engine is over a million bucks?
My guess is yes, well over 1 million.

/ Ram vs Dodge/Chrysler - how complete is the separation? #128  
I wonder if that diesel engine is over a million bucks?
My guess is yes, well over 1 million.

The complete truck is ~ 3.5 million. What I found astounding was that one tire for the loader to load that truck ran ~ 80,000 dollars!

/ Ram vs Dodge/Chrysler - how complete is the separation? #129  
The complete truck is ~ 3.5 million. What I found astounding was that one tire for the loader to load that truck ran ~ 80,000 dollars!

Betcha it’s twice as much now in this economy!