Rear diff lock on 410 backhoe

/ Rear diff lock on 410 backhoe #1  

unimog_jason

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 755, Kioti DK40SE, JD 410
The axle in my 410 has been locked since the day I bought it.

The first hint I had something was not right was the green paint on the left axle tube.

I has a suspicion that something bad happened on that side and messed up the diff lock and when they replaced the axle tube, they didn't replace the fork.

I was hoping it was just a case of the fork was messed up when the incident happened and they just locked the collar in place.

I opened it up tonight and this is what I found, no collar.

20210509_202115.jpg

At this point I have to assume some SOB went through the effort to weld the spiders up instead of replacing the fork and collar.

Anyone else have a different diagnosis?

/ Rear diff lock on 410 backhoe #2  
Sounds as if a visual inspection & possibly R&R of 410 differential is in your future.

/ Rear diff lock on 410 backhoe #3  
If you are lucky they only welded the unmeshed teeth of the spiders, not the spiders to the gears they mesh with.

/ Rear diff lock on 410 backhoe
Thanks for the feedback.

I slept on the dilemma and I can't come up with any other possible explaination.

I priced out my options when it comes to the spider gears this morning and I think I'll bolt it back up and run it as is for now. I was hoping to make the machine roadable so that I could drive it to my other properties, but I'll deal with that problem at a later date.