Rear end oil

/ Rear end oil #1  

Too Old

Tractor
Terramite
Hi everyone, new member here. I recently purchased a mid ninety's (I think), T5c. It has been setting for several years without being used. I got it running, cleaned fuel tank, changed engine oil, changed hydraulic oil (15-40) and greased everything I could find. I would like to change the rear end oil, can anyone tell me what to refill it with? I'm guessing 75-90 weight oil? thanks in advance.

/ Rear end oil #2  
ON MOST TRACTORS THE TRANSMISSION AND REAR END AND HYDRAULIC OIL ARE ALL ONE.

/ Rear end oil #3  
:welcome: My '98(?) T5C has Dana 'limited slip' rear axle. (44?) Make sure you account for that if yours is the same.

ON MOST TRACTORS THE TRANSMISSION AND REAR END AND HYDRAULIC OIL ARE ALL ONE.

TC has little to nothing in common with anything called 'tractor'. It's engine, hydro pump, HST, and rear end are all separate off the shelf components.

Too Old, You can raise one wheel and should feel 100 ft/lb or so resistance to turning the one in the air. This would show preload on the friction plates. If a PO had the wrong fluid, additive, etc, or if fairly worn you would still feel some resistance. If the wheel spins freely you might not have limited slip but IIRC it's OEM. If you have 2WD you can swap all manner of auto rims/tires in a pinch.

Do you have Honda or Kohler power? I have the factory manual for ours including both engines and wiring. You can PM me an email for it digitally (PDF) if it's not easy to find online. I've 14 years of 'you name it' and am not afraid to help with any issues you have. Wiring is easy. If you don't have a center button on the steering wheel don't let rainwater get into the steering column, 'cuz if it does it'll wreck a most difficult thing to find, fix, or replace. jon

/ Rear end oil
Thanks for the quick replies. Just to be clear, the machine runs and works fine I just thought it would be good preventative maintenance to drain and refill the rear end. thanks Old Grind, the engine is a Kohler 20 HP.

/ Rear end oil #5  
What's that phrase from our college days? .. :laughing:

"Dig it." :thumbsup:

PM sent. t o g

/ Rear end oil
So I changed the oil in the rear differential a few days ago. When I took the cover off of the "punkin" there was a metal tag fastened to one of the bolts that stated "use limited slip diff. lube" so that answered most of my question. I put approx. 2 quarts 80-90 w oil back in. I used the machine to spread about 6 tons of topsoil yesterday and everything worked fine. Today I checked for leaks and didn't see any, WooHoo. Next I would like to repack the front wheel bearings. Thanks for the help.