Registering a New Trailer in Maine

/ Registering a New Trailer in Maine #41  
Nah- they will put a little camera in your cab and record everything you do (and say) while it monitors your odometer :laughing:

There's been talk of putting a GPS in every vehicle.

/ Registering a New Trailer in Maine #42  
   / Registering a New Trailer in Maine #43  
Electronic logs have been around for many years

Is there a tracking device in my Colorado?
I was in an auto parts store a few years back and they had GPS units "You can tell if your spouse is cheating." I told the clerk to her face that was grounds for divorce, whether it ws justified or not.

As greedy as my state is, I don't agree with this effort to rob other states of revenue.

/ Registering a New Trailer in Maine #45  
Not difficult to understand. If you have registered a trailer in Maine as a non-resident I figure you ought to know a bit about how it works and what the real costs are.
If you haven't, you might not.

I'm just amused by the typical TBN style "discussion".
The actual facts are irrelevant to me.

I've not offered any input so far on how it works since I live in Maine and don't know what may be different for out of state. I currently have one that I register through a statutory agency 5 minutes from my house (2020 16" enclosed 7K) and one that is registered through the local town office (1999 homemade 2 axle with no weight rating). I do the one at the local town office because it is a regular Maine trailer plate with a very low number that I want to keep, and the one done through an agency gets a different plate (or maybe called a tag depending on where you live). I had to pay sales tax on the new one at the dealer, so that was a moot point there, and the homemade one was never subject to tax so I can't help there at all. I will say that these agencies are good at what they do, because registering stuff for the highway is all they do all day long - they don't license dogs and issue building permits, so they focus on one thing.

The one thing I can say is that Maine doesn't issue a title for a trailer under 3k. If yours is a 10k steel with custom add-ons you may be getting close - an older Sure-Trac 18' bare bones 7K that I sometimes use is 1995 lb on the name plate, so I'm assuming the manufacturer's name plate states the weight for yours. If you are required to title it, that will likely have extra costs.

/ Registering a New Trailer in Maine #46  
If you have OnStar capability there is.

I don't, and already knew the answer. OTOH if I am carrying my phone they can track me; so if I ever get the urge to do something stupid like jaywalking or sneaking into the beach after hours, I leave the phone at home.

/ Registering a New Trailer in Maine #47  
All I know is many trailers in MD have Maine tags.