Reinstalling the cable on a Warn winch

/ Reinstalling the cable on a Warn winch #1  

rmorgan

Gold Member
Tractor
NH TC33D; RTV900; Gravely Professional
I have a Warn 2.5ci winch on the RTV. I had to take the winch off for service (after burning up the motor; Warn stepped up and replaced the windings without any question even though I caused the damage). Because the wire was spooled out when it fried, I took it off before shipping the winch off. Now I can't figure out how to get the wire back on. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif The winch has what Warn calls the "Warn cable retention system" which consists of a hole through the drum, one side of which is flared out considerably, and a little fitting which is essentially a 1/4" piece of 3/8" rod. Anybody been through this, or do I have to humiliate myself with customer service (and much worse, wait until next weekend to use it?) Thanks!!

/ Reinstalling the cable on a Warn winch #2  
Rick,

Is the little fitting you mentioned on the cable? If so, on most winches, that barrel is slid into the flared out section of the drum then slid away from the flare into a smaller groove.

No recollection on how you took it off? Anything in the install guide?

Brian

/ Reinstalling the cable on a Warn winch
Thanks, Brian. It's a completely separate piece, and there's nothing in the manual or on the web. I'll give them a call on Monday.