Removing Hydraulic Pump from 3510

/ Removing Hydraulic Pump from 3510 #1  

MarEng

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 3510 Ford 3000
Forgive me if this has been covered - search feature is not working for me tonight.

Has anybody had to pull the hydraulic pump from their 3510. From the schematic it looks like 2 bolts, 2 studs and pulling a splined shaft. Got all the bolts/studs and have moved the pump back about 1/8" but it will move no further. All hydraulic connections are broken and pulled back. I am prying between the bearing retainer and the pump to avoid pulling the bearing. I have been somewhat gentle as I don't have a set of brass wedges - not that I would have much room to swing a hammer in.

Thoughts? Something I'm missing?

For those interested - pump blew the gasket on the free end. Any recommended sources for replacement pumps? Rebuilding? My local dealer is worthless. They stock no parts and tack a $50 UPS fee on everything I order. The local JD dealer has a lot of the implement parts for 1/3 less and no shipping.

/ Removing Hydraulic Pump from 3510 #2  
You might contact Buster Jenkins in Plainview, TX. (806) 774-3091 cell or (806) 293-0337 main office number. If you call the office you might be answered by Jenkins auto sales. Don't let this fool you. He is the SW distributor for Branson and also has an auto dealership. If anybody knows he does and he either stocks or can get from Branson/Kukje, the parts you need. If he has the parts in stock you can have them in a couple of days or so if they have to come from Korea it will take longer. Yes there is a charge for shipping and handling. I forget what I was recently charged.....but it takes employee's time and postage costs money. Fee has to come from somewhere.

In looking at my manuals for the 6530, I see no reason why your pump will only come out ⅛". Nothing but a splined shaft on either the main pump or steering pump. He should know any secrets.

/ Removing Hydraulic Pump from 3510
I'll call him in the am. Thanks!

/ Removing Hydraulic Pump from 3510
It's off!! Just like the front end when I did the tie rod end upgrades - the pump was held on with copious amounts of the original LocTite - Rust. I got a set of brass wedges and got medieval on the pump. It fought all of the way out. Bearing, bearing holder, etc. all look great. Pump feels great, though the flange is pretty chewed up from the removal effort. May surface/rebuild it as a back-up. Splined shaft came out brown with rust. Will reassemble with some Never-Seize - just in case I ever have to do this again. The drawing was accurate - it was just the corroded spline holding it on.

/ Removing Hydraulic Pump from 3510 #5  
Glad to hear it.

/ Removing Hydraulic Pump from 3510 #6  
Glad to hear it.

Texasmark, you add a helluva lot to this forum. It's awesome that you're always trying to be helpful to others regardless of any thanks.

Kudos to you and happy holidays!

/ Removing Hydraulic Pump from 3510 #7  
Texasmark, you add a helluva lot to this forum. It's awesome that you're always trying to be helpful to others regardless of any thanks.

Kudos to you and happy holidays!

Well thank you sir. I like to help when I can. I started farming 37 years ago and since have earned a PhD from "Hardknocks" U. in How Not to Farm. Don't mind passing on what it took me awhile to learn.

/ Removing Hydraulic Pump from 3510 #8  
It's off!! Just like the front end when I did the tie rod end upgrades - the pump was held on with copious amounts of the original LocTite - Rust. I got a set of brass wedges and got medieval on the pump. It fought all of the way out. Bearing, bearing holder, etc. all look great. Pump feels great, though the flange is pretty chewed up from the removal effort. May surface/rebuild it as a back-up. Splined shaft came out brown with rust. Will reassemble with some Never-Seize - just in case I ever have to do this again. The drawing was accurate - it was just the corroded spline holding it on.
well you just saved me untold hours, I was about this close to pulling out a torch figuring the spline was jacked and it wasn't coming out. Thanks for the share.

/ Removing Hydraulic Pump from 3510 #9  
Well, this did not go as planned. The same situation as described. The hydraulic pump would only move back about 1/4 inch. The PS pump slid right off. I got some wedges and went to work. I eventually got it up to about 3/4 inch but that was it. There is a plate between the pump and housing, which was moving out with the pump. So I started working on the area between the plate and the pump. Quickly it separated explosively. When I saw the pump was off without the shaft I expected that I would have a long night in front of me chiseling the shaft out of the housing but nope it just slid out. This is absolutely not what I expected nor I have seen anything like this before. Yes, seen a broken shaft. Yes seen a stuck device with a shaft. I have just never seen anything like this.. its almost like the shaft was broken and the housing was what was stuck.

Attachments

• IMG_3908.jpg
    IMG_3908.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 77