Replace Besko Loader valve with Chief 3-spool on a T254

/ Replace Besko Loader valve with Chief 3-spool on a T254 #1  

elsievo

Tractor
TYM T254
I have a Besko 2-spool loader valve on my 2014 vintage T254. It is real loose again and the lift/curl positions are more oblique than straight (just up/down side to side) It has been that way since the day I bought it used. I have taken the cover off and tightened the bolts which help with the slop some, still more sloppy than I like, but it works.

Anyway I have been contemplating the purchase of a box blade to maintain our church's parking lot (gravel). From my use of the trail club's tractor having a hydraulic top link makes the job more fun and efficient.

So I'm considering replacing the Besko with a Chief 3-spool. I would run hoses from the loader valve 3rd spool back to control the hydraulic top link. Would also give me the option to someday put a small grapple on the front to help with processing my firewood. I know it would be cheaper to just get the kit to add another valve but TYM attaches it to the ROPS on the T254. I'm sure I could put it elsewhere but right on the loader control just seems handy to me and hopefully in the long run worth the extra cost.

So much for the explanation. Now the advice to seek.

Has anyone used the Chief loader controls? Let me know what you think. I know Prince makes a nice one but it is designed for much larger tractors and is rated to 25 gpm where my tractor puts out around 8 or so. So I'm thinking the 10-13 gpm rating would be better plus the smaller size.

If anyone has any knowledge about what threads the Besko has I would appreciate it so I can figure what adapters might be necessary. The valve I was looking at has NPT threads just wanted to make sure the Besko wasn't BSP or ?

If anyone put a 3-spool loader control on their smaller tractor. Was it the second best thing you did to your tractor?

Sorry for the long winded post, and as always thanks for your input.

/ Replace Besko Loader valve with Chief 3-spool on a T254 #2  
Accordingly to the specs on TYM website, your tractor puts out 4.18 GPM for the main pump, this is the pump that feeds the loader. The other one is just for the steering and the flows don't combine.

So you want to get a valve as close as possible to the flow of your tractor for better control ability of the loader. Too big of a valve and it will be very hard to feather the controls or even do multiple functions at once.

You also want that valve to have load check valves. This prevents, for instance, the loader from dropping while you try to lift and curl at the same time. Some cheap valves won't offer those and while you can get around it and getting used to it, it's still very nice to have it.

Whatever valve you end up buying, make sure you get the right Power Beyond sleeve for it. This sleeve is made specifically for that particular valve model, so you can't just get one generic one.

I run a 3 spool valve on my tractor. I bought it used when I built my loader and the 3rd spool is used to power the front winch. This valve is super nice as I believe it came from an older Case skidsteer, has all the power features. So it's not really a good comparison for your case.

As far as the threads go, I believe TYM uses JIC thread, which the thread diameters, thread pitches and sealing taper are the same as BSP but the taper is inverted compared to BSP. So essentially, you could buy a BSP valve and thread the current fittings in there.

/ Replace Besko Loader valve with Chief 3-spool on a T254
Good to know about the fittings. There is a company selling same type of setup but made in Bulgaria with BSP fittings. I'll do some research as to sizes. Maybe take it over to one of the places nearby that make hydraulic hoses etc and see we can accurately determine the thread type and size. Thanks again.

/ Replace Besko Loader valve with Chief 3-spool on a T254 #4  
Another thing to think about is mounting orientation. A lot of valves are intended to mount upside down. As in work ports pointing down. When you mount it work ports up, you have to pull the joystick as in raising the loader to get into float position. Something to think about when ordering the valve.

/ Replace Besko Loader valve with Chief 3-spool on a T254
I was figuring I would need one of the local machine shops to make an new mount for it. The Besko has the ports facing left (as you sit facing the front). What I've looked at, the ports will face down in order for the float to be "normal".