Restarting X320 tractor challenges

/ Restarting X320 tractor challenges #1  

RSARhino

Tractor
JD X320
I replaced our old JD with a new X320 this spring. I really like the tractor, but have concerns because whenever I stop after using the 320 for a while it does not restart easily. Sometimes, I have to turn the key over 3-6 times and choke it and sometimes it restarts immediately. I have also on occasion had the back fires and the dealer is telling me you do have re choke it whenever you restart it. Does this make sense to anyone?

/ Restarting X320 tractor challenges #2  
the dealer is telling me you do have re choke it whenever you restart it.
He is full of crap, or incompetent, either way, you don't have to choke it to re start it.

/ Restarting X320 tractor challenges #3  
I know that with my 2006 x304 with 17hp Kawasaki I have to choke everytime I turn the key, hot warm cold, whatever. It does however start everytime with just a blip of the starter, whether it's 40 degrees celsius or -20 celsius.

/ Restarting X320 tractor challenges #4  
I have been running pure gas (no ethanol) this year as an experiment. My x300 starts better cold or hot and idles smoothly after starting which it didn't do with the previous 10% ethanol blend.

/ Restarting X320 tractor challenges #5  
Yea', well you are lucky. In my area we have no choice, all 3 grades are 10% corn squeezins.

I have been running pure gas (no ethanol) this year as an experiment. My x300 starts better cold or hot and idles smoothly after starting which it didn't do with the previous 10% ethanol blend.

/ Restarting X320 tractor challenges #6  
I find that I have to use the choke to start sometimes when the engine is still warm. No biggie! A quick flip of the choke makes it start fast. I have been using Stabil for ethanol/gas in my fuel. There is no avoiding it around here.

/ Restarting X320 tractor challenges #7  
Hiya,

You will find if you use "mogas" or "autogas" from an airfield your starting problems will go away. Aircraft fuel does not contain any ethanol or other emission control additives that road gas from the filling station does. A side benefit is that it won't go bad as fast and you can use the old red stabil in it.

Most small airfields will sell mogas if you put it in gas cans, they can't however allow you fuel an on road car or truck as it does not have road use tax factored in. Don't bother with 100LL, you don't need the octane rating or TEL that it has.

My 2 cents,

Tom

/ Restarting X320 tractor challenges #8  
Does your tractor have the little electrical solonoid on the bottom of the carb fuel bowl? Those can get gummy with this new gas and get sluggish or not open all the way. They shut off gas to the carb jets when you turn off the ignition. Kohler factory reps actualy tell dealerships to have customers shut down thier engines at full throttle to help stop the backfire. Goes against everything I have learned as a mechanic. I personaly throttle down to mid rpm just prior to turning off the mower deck, then hold that rpm till I get to the garage, then drop to idle as I back in, then shut it down. Rarely get a backfire. Seems to work with both new and old engines. The backfire is gas that makes it thru the carb after you kill the ignition, collects in the hot muffler and if there is enough there, "BANG!" I have seen ends of mufflers blown out by this, and they are not cheap. Having to use choke every time, even just for a split second is normal for newer engines. Same for the backfire under certain shut down conditions. Mike