RickB-Servicing the Cooling System on the NH TD95D

/ RickB-Servicing the Cooling System on the NH TD95D #1  

Jerry/MT

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Kubota M4500
I need to install a block heater on my TD95D (with cab and 820TL loader) as well as change the coolant in it. I've read the NH Service Manual and the owners/maintenance manual, studied the installation, and concluded that the best way to drain the coolant was at the metal elbow at the lower hose on the radiator. Its the lowest point in the system that is accessible and should drain the block and the radiator since the oil cooler outlet hose goes into the block and the inlet hose is attched to this elbow. I could use the big plug that the block heater goes into but that's not the low point.

The Shop Manual shows a plug for block drainage but that opening is used for the oil cooler that sits under the oil filter. There is a plug on the RHS of the radiator bottom shown in the maintence section of the owners manual but that is virtually inaccessable because of the steering pump outlet line.

If you've serviced one of these cooling systems, have you found a better way to do it?
I'm planning on using Prestone brand coolant. Any reason why that's not adequate?

/ RickB-Servicing the Cooling System on the NH TD95D #2  
Jerry,

You have found the best place to drain the coolant from an Iveco engine equipped with an oil cooler. It is as you suggest, a single point drain.You probably won't have to remove the plug completely, as the threaded section is likely to be split in two places which allows the coolant to drain slowly, although it does come out in two streams at 90 degrees to the plug 180 degrees apart.

Any Prestone I have seen is totally lacking in DCA/SCA protection, so if you do use it, add NH FW15 coolant additive or a similar Fleetguard or other coolant additive. Alternatively you could buy an antifreeze with DCA/SCA additives such as offered by Fleetguard or CNH (or NAPA or others) but the price of common green antifreeze and separate additive is usually more attractive.

/ RickB-Servicing the Cooling System on the NH TD95D
Jerry,

You have found the best place to drain the coolant from an Iveco engine equipped with an oil cooler. It is as you suggest, a single point drain.You probably won't have to remove the plug completely, as the threaded section is likely to be split in two places which allows the coolant to drain slowly, although it does come out in two streams at 90 degrees to the plug 180 degrees apart.

Any Prestone I have seen is totally lacking in DCA/SCA protection, so if you do use it, add NH FW15 coolant additive or a similar Fleetguard or other coolant additive. Alternatively you could buy an antifreeze with DCA/SCA additives such as offered by Fleetguard or CNH (or NAPA or others) but the price of common green antifreeze and separate additive is usually more attractive.

Thanks for the quick reply, Rick. What plug are you refering to? There isn't a plug at that elbow, just two hoses and they are accessible. I figured to take the the lowest one off the elbow fitting and it will drain both the radiator and the block through the oil cooler.

Thanks for the reminder about the FW15. I had forgotten about that. I think that's the same stuff I use in my F350 turbodiesel Its labeled Motorcraft Diesel Cooling Additive and comes in a pint plastic bottle.

/ RickB-Servicing the Cooling System on the NH TD95D #4  
Many of those steel elbows have drain plugs incorporated. If yours does not, pulling the lower of the two small hoses will accomplish the same thing. Make sure the heater control is closed (set to cold) so you don't drain the heater core. No need to have to bleed that.

Many of those steel elbows have drain plugs incorporated. If yours does not, pulling the lower of the two small hoses will accomplish the same thing. Make sure the heater control is closed (set to cold) so you don't drain the heater core. No need to have to bleed that.

Thanks for the prompt replies, Rick. I appreciate all your help.

/ RickB-Servicing the Cooling System on the NH TD95D #6  
Timing is everything. It's not like the computer rang and I rushed in to answer it!!

Happy to help.

Timing is everything. It's not like the computer rang and I rushed in to answer it!!

Happy to help.

To close out this thread, I bought a cooling system flushing kit at NAPA for $1.99 (INcluded the "T", the clamps and the flushing connection. I didn't think you could find a pair of clamps for that much!) and installed that in the heater line that goes into the lower rad hose. I now have a covenient way to drain antifreeze on my TD95D.