rk 55 acting like battery is dead when starting

/ rk 55 acting like battery is dead when starting #1  

Cbrightnow106

Tractor
Rk55
my rk 55 acts like the battery is dead when trying to start it. it just clicks clicks clicks and then after doing this a few times it starts normally anyone else having this problem or does anyone know where to start troubleshooting this issue?

/ rk 55 acting like battery is dead when starting #2  
When it does turn over the engine, does it spin normally?
Generally, the place to start is to confirm that the battery is good (load test) and then check / clean the battery and frame ground connections.

/ rk 55 acting like battery is dead when starting #3  
As described above, check all of the cable ends. Actually take yhem off, clean them up, and tighten them back on. It’s possible too that there is corrosion that you can’t see inside a cable.

/ rk 55 acting like battery is dead when starting
i will let you all know in a day or two if this helps. definately will check the cables and clean the connections

/ rk 55 acting like battery is dead when starting
When it does turn over the engine, does it spin normally?
Generally, the place to start is to confirm that the battery is good (load test) and then check / clean the battery and frame ground connections.
once you get it to where it will turn over it runs like a champ

/ rk 55 acting like battery is dead when starting #6  
once you get it to where it will turn over it runs like a champ

The next step would be to measure the voltage getting to the starter solenoid from the ignition switch. A high resistance connection or safety switch can result in low voltage to the solenoid, which will cause it to click or chatter like you describe.

My ZD mowers experienced a similar problem and I opted to install a starter relay, which provides the 12v to the solenoid almost directly from the battery. It's a common upgrade done to problematic starting systems, and easy enough. If you need or want to go this route, there are numerous tutorials online, or I can post the diagram I used for mine.