RK24 Hydraulic Top Link

/ RK24 Hydraulic Top Link #1  

stevetom84

Tractor
None
Has anyone put a hydraulic top link on their RK24? I'm looking into it and am looking at the AMA top link with hose kit from TSC. They have 2 lengths available, a 18-1/8" to 26-3/8" and a 20-7/8" tp 31-7/8". Does anyone have experience with these top links and if they are a good fit for something like a RK24?

/ RK24 Hydraulic Top Link #2  
I plan to add one at some point, but haven't had the time yet. Maybe this summer sometime. I'll follow along with this thread though. :)
When I do mine I'll probably get the needed cylinder, hoses, and fittings from surpluscenter.com like I've done in the past. I plan to use the stock rear remote to connect it to. It already has a float detent, which is nice. Don't see myself needing a tilt cylinder, so the single remote should suffice for me.

/ RK24 Hydraulic Top Link #3  
Has anyone put a hydraulic top link on their RK24? I'm looking into it and am looking at the AMA top link with hose kit from TSC. They have 2 lengths available, a 18-1/8" to 26-3/8" and a 20-7/8" tp 31-7/8". Does anyone have experience with these top links and if they are a good fit for something like a RK24?

I don't have an RK24, but what I'd do is look at the manual top link that you've (presumably) got now and measure the minimum to maximum that it extends.
My suspicion is for a small tractor like that, the 20.875-31.875 is going to be too big to be useful; the smaller of the two you mention may be the right lengths but still may not.

I have a tractor more like the RK37 and my hydraulic top link goes 20-28, and the 20 is probably borderline as I think it could use being slightly shorter at times, and the 28 is probably a hair too long.

/ RK24 Hydraulic Top Link #4  
I don't have an RK24, but what I'd do is look at the manual top link that you've (presumably) got now and measure the minimum to maximum that it extends.
My suspicion is for a small tractor like that, the 20.875-31.875 is going to be too big to be useful; the smaller of the two you mention may be the right lengths but still may not.

I have a tractor more like the RK37 and my hydraulic top link goes 20-28, and the 20 is probably borderline as I think it could use being slightly shorter at times, and the 28 is probably a hair too long.

How does one determine the maximum usable top link length? What is the minimum thread engagement one should maintain between the two halves?

/ RK24 Hydraulic Top Link #5  
How does one determine the maximum usable top link length? What is the minimum thread engagement one should maintain between the two halves?

Threads should always be engaged no less than the diameter of the threaded piece, that is at each end. Example, 1 1/8" dia threaded rod needs to be screwed into the center piece a minimum of 1 1/8" at each end.

Here is a good way to determine what length a hydraulic link should be. Get the asked for dimension to equal as close as you can to the mid stoke of the unit. Preferably just a little more retraction than extension from the asked for dimension. ;)

It is not always best to go off of the OEM manual link. Manufacturers often use what I consider the wrong working length for the links on some of their tractors. :eek: I have found some links that when completely collapsed would only allow a box blade to be level front-back. That does not always work so well when using a box blade. :(