Roof rack on a 2013 to 2019 Ford Escape?????

/ Roof rack on a 2013 to 2019 Ford Escape????? #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
I know some of you have Ford Escapes. I have a 2019 w/ sunroof. When I bought it in Nov. 2019 it was a "leftover". I didn't go through the ordering process, my main passenger vehicle, a 2009 VW TDI, had been reclaimed by VW due to dieselgate.
They had the Escape equipped with a roof rack. They tried to sell me the "roof bars", I declined. IIRC the MAX load was supposed to be 45 lbs. My Thule roofbox (leftover from the VW) exceeds that WITHOUT THE BARS.
(Looking at specs for the 2020 Ford Escape w/ sunroof the max load is ZERO!!)
So I'm looking for some REAL WORLD experience.
Have any of you put a roof rack on an Escape of that vintage and loaded it?
If so about how much?
I've got to do an 1800 mile round trip and would REALLY like the extra space for things like sleeping bags, clothes, and lightweight stuff.

Last edited:
   / Roof rack on a 2013 to 2019 Ford Escape?????
That addresses nothing but a repetition of the mfg. BS.
For EXAMPLE - my 2009 VW was initially rated at 1,000 lbs in the US. The same model in Europe was rated for 2,000 lbs.
From one of the Ford Escape forums
FWIW, I went through this same struggle when I bought my 2013 with the pano roof. I needed to get a kayak up there which (including the j-rack) was more than the 50# limit. I've done it many times around town and on 600+ mi road trips without issue BUT do it at your own risk.
and
Not to discount what you’ve heard, but I have had 140lbs. on my 2013 roof racks. Brought home a few sheets of plywood from Home Depot. Granted, it’s only a 7 mile round trip.

Every year we go the beach and my cargo carrier (picture below) weighs at least 90lbs. because I have that thing completely loaded. It’s 3 hrs. one way to the Delaware beach. I have done this trip every year with my 2013 and 2017. No problems with my pano roof.
I've had WAY more than 40lbs of wet packed snow on the roof at times and I suspect many in Northern climes have had LOTS more.
That's why I was asking for actual experience from TBN'ers - NOT just a repetition of the owners manual.

/ Roof rack on a 2013 to 2019 Ford Escape????? #4  
That addresses nothing but a repetition of the mfg. BS.
For EXAMPLE - my 2009 VW was initially rated at 1,000 lbs in the US. The same model in Europe was rated for 2,000 lbs.
From one of the Ford Escape forums

and

I've had WAY more than 40lbs of wet packed snow on the roof at times and I suspect many in Northern climes have had LOTS more.
That's why I was asking for actual experience from TBN'ers - NOT just a repetition of the owners manual.

I therefore humbly beg your forgiveness......

Sheesh......try to help.....

/ Roof rack on a 2013 to 2019 Ford Escape????? #5  
I'd say load it up and be happy. Same issue with my wife's Suburban. No advertised capacity anywhere. I think roof racks are a 'feel good' item actually. Like running boards. To me running boards are nothing but crud catchers that eventually cause sheet metal rot because no one ever bothers to clean the backsides and mounts where the crud lives.

/ Roof rack on a 2013 to 2019 Ford Escape????? #6  
I would consider a receiver hitch cargo basket. They usually have a 500 pound capacity and keeps your center of gravity low.