Rotary mowers on skid-steer machines

/ Rotary mowers on skid-steer machines #1  

Oz_Kioti

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti RX8030
A mate of mine has a Toyota Huski 4SDK8 skid-steer, and has a need for a slasher (rotary mower/bush-hog).

Is the idea of running a mower on the front of a "Bobcat" sound? He's heard that they can "run hot", but would this be caused by a mis-match perhaps - ie too big a slasher for the machine's capability? Or is it that the flow and pressure of the hydraulics just isn't up to the task?

And are they inherently unstable?

He doesn't own a tractor, and doesn't feel inclined to get one, when he already has the Huski for doing lots of work on the property.

Toyota Huski.jpg

/ Rotary mowers on skid-steer machines #2  
Match the implement to the machine. Implement weight vs lift capacity. Implement flow requirement vs machine flow.

Match them accordingly and you shouldnt have any issues being tippy. And if you start to overheat....look at all the crap mowing stirs up. Seed heads, pollen, etc. Time to look at that radiator and blow it out

/ Rotary mowers on skid-steer machines #3  
Not unstable at all. I rent one to clear land and farm field edges and think it’s the best way to go. If the operators station has a protective enclosure, you can raise the mower and cut material that’s up higher, too.
Id probably rent a drum type mower (mulcher) over a blade type mower (bush hog). It munches the material into smaller pieces that decay faster and I think it’s a safer machine to run.

/ Rotary mowers on skid-steer machines #4  
If stability a concern , you can always look into "tracks over tires " . BTW personally I hate the tracks over tires option on a SS . Also down in these parts we dont see many SS like your friends . Obviously a global and regional thing .

Last edited: