RTV 1100c Hand Throttle Question

/ RTV 1100c Hand Throttle Question #1  

East30

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650 / RTV-X1100C Toro Titan 5
I've long wondered about operators manual stating that the hand throttle should not be used while driving the vehicle. I do not use it often, but I have on occasion.

Here's my example, in the winter when I have my tracks on, and pulling an ice shack behind me, occasionally I need to climb a somewhat steep hill coming off a lake. I've had the RTV stall out on occasion in both high or low gear depending on my speed coming in. (Its a short but steep incline) What I've done, is stop the RTV prior to the hill, pull up on the hand throttle to bring up RPM's, then slowly drive up in low gear. Works like a charm. Get to the top of the hill, press the hand throttle back down and switch back to high gear. This is the only scenario I've ever used this, and it's helped.

If I'm not to use the hand throttle for that, what's the purpose of the hand throttle? I've just always wondered.

1100 hand throttle.PNG

/ RTV 1100c Hand Throttle Question #2  
Curious about that myself. In 12 years of owning mine I never researched it, I just didn't drive with it on high. Maybe we're about to find out hopefully.

/ RTV 1100c Hand Throttle Question #3  
I've long wondered about operators manual stating that the hand throttle should not be used while driving the vehicle. I do not use it often, but I have on occasion.

Here's my example, in the winter when I have my tracks on, and pulling an ice shack behind me, occasionally I need to climb a somewhat steep hill coming off a lake. I've had the RTV stall out on occasion in both high or low gear depending on my speed coming in. (Its a short but steep incline) What I've done, is stop the RTV prior to the hill, pull up on the hand throttle to bring up RPM's, then slowly drive up in low gear. Works like a charm. Get to the top of the hill, press the hand throttle back down and switch back to high gear. This is the only scenario I've ever used this, and it's helped.

If I'm not to use the hand throttle for that, what's the purpose of the hand throttle? I've just always wondered.

View attachment 733970
I have owned 2 kubota RTV,s a 2006 and a 2021 and live in a hilly area of michigan.Not once in low gear have I ever stalled in out on a hill.

Attachments

• tempImageI4OWuN.jpg
    tempImageI4OWuN.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 536
  • tempImage88rbCp.jpg
    tempImage88rbCp.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 605

/ RTV 1100c Hand Throttle Question #4  
I added the adjustable hand throttle on my X900 after I tried plowing up some steep inclines on my 1.5 mile driveway. I know that the owner's manual says to not drive with it on, but with other equipment the hand throttle allows you to keep the engine rpm's up for just that purpose. It made a big difference for me and when I ordered my new X1100C I ordered one. When the dealer said my machine was ready to pick up, but they were still waiting for the hand throttle to arrive but it would be several weeks before it arrived. It was then they told me that the X1100C comes with the basic hand throttle and that I might find it to be OK. They would be taking off the standard one and replace it with the one I had ordered. I opted to cancel the order of the "better one" and give the one that comes with the machine. If I found it to be inferior I would order and install myself. So far I have found the one that comes with the machine to be adequate for the few times I need it. It seems strange that the manual says to not drive with the hand throttle (both versions) "on". They do help in warming the machine up when it is near or below 0 degrees!

/ RTV 1100c Hand Throttle Question #5  
I added the adjustable hand throttle on my X900 after I tried plowing up some steep inclines on my 1.5 mile driveway. I know that the owner's manual says to not drive with it on, but with other equipment the hand throttle allows you to keep the engine rpm's up for just that purpose. It made a big difference for me and when I ordered my new X1100C I ordered one. When the dealer said my machine was ready to pick up, but they were still waiting for the hand throttle to arrive but it would be several weeks before it arrived. It was then they told me that the X1100C comes with the basic hand throttle and that I might find it to be OK. They would be taking off the standard one and replace it with the one I had ordered. I opted to cancel the order of the "better one" and give the one that comes with the machine. If I found it to be inferior I would order and install myself. So far I have found the one that comes with the machine to be adequate for the few times I need it. It seems strange that the manual says to not drive with the hand throttle (both versions) "on". They do help in warming the machine up when it is near or below 0 degrees!
Agree, I have the button version and use it for warmup only. Surprised no one says why it can't be used running it. Basically a similar drivetrain as my Bx.

/ RTV 1100c Hand Throttle Question #6  
I installed the hand throttle kit on my RTV-X1120D and see no mechanical reason it cannot be used while driving. It's a separate independent cable from the foot pedal. The foot pedal cable has a flexible "slack" section that allows the hand throttle to operate without creating feedback to the foot pedal. You can dial in a desired RPM with the hand throttle and pressing the foot pedal will control the HST only. To me it seems like they designed it to work that way.

I remember hearing that the hand throttle was required for some implements like the front rotary broom, in order to increase engine RPM to spin the broom correctly. Wouldn't make sense if you had to do that to run the broom but then couldn't drive forward to do sweeping!