RTV 500 Won't Fire - Need Input

/ RTV 500 Won't Fire - Need Input #1  

jcombs

Tractor
Kubota L3200
I have a RTV 500 with 400+ hours. Several months back it started developing an issue. It would start up just fine, but when I cut it off it would not start until sitting for several minutes. The indicator lights would just flash. Once it sat for several minutes, though, it would fire right up. Didn't matter if I had been running it for hours or just for 5 minutes before cutting it off. Eventually it started not wanting to start, until now it will not start at all.

I tested for spark by pulling the spark plug, hooking it back up to the plug wire, and then turning the ignition with the plug near bare metal. No spark was evident. I tested the same plug in an ATV and verified that the same method resulted in a noticeable spark. My assumption is that the problem is electrical. Someone suggested that a bad coil is the likely problem.

Anyone have any other thoughts? Does this sound like a bad coil or do you have other suggestions? Anyone here replaced a coil in an RTV and/or priced one? I'm finding very little info online, so assume I may have to go through the dealer for parts.

Any help would be very appreciated.

thanks

/ RTV 500 Won't Fire - Need Input #2  
My guess is fuel starvation. Possibly clogged filter, old or bad gas or bad fuel pump. Tank may need cleaning if bad gas.

I have an RTV500. I use only Chevron marine gas with no ethanol. I run almost all gas out of each tank before refilling to make sure gas is fresh. I buy Chevron marine gas, five gallons at a time.

/ RTV 500 Won't Fire - Need Input #3  
If you have no spark at either plug it could be several things. The ignition coil gets a input voltage from the ecu ( computer) that signal is based on the crankshaft sensor, that input also goes to the ecu. The flashing light blinks to give you the code, of which the problem sensor is, that being said I would check the two wire connector to the coil first, if ok disconnect the battery cable wait a few minutes and reconnect see what happens if it starts and is flashing the light count the number of flashes, this will determine the problem sensor. Just my 2 cents, good luck, by the way I have same machine.

/ RTV 500 Won't Fire - Need Input
Thanks. Do you happen to have a link to an explanation of what the flash codes mean? I had looked before but didn't have any luck.

/ RTV 500 Won't Fire - Need Input #5  
I can't send you the code page but you can get the complete service manual from Kubota service manual vault.com for around 10 bucks in a PDF format instantly it's about 325 pages. So that way you can diagnose the code and the part that could be the problem. Burn the PDF to a DVD and you'll have a good copy. Print the pages you need. Good luck

/ RTV 500 Won't Fire - Need Input
Thanks. I picked up the service manual, which is very helpful. The code does indicate that I should check the crankshaft sensor. I haven't had a chance to check it yet, but this gives me a good place to start. Thanks again.

/ RTV 500 Won't Fire - Need Input #7  
Crankshaft sensors have stopped cold a number of vehicles... happened to friends with their new new BMW...

Went to start it after stopping for lunch and it would crank but not start... turned out to be a bad sensor under warranty...

Not much you can do except replace and dial it in.

My 110 Deer would start but not move... bad flywheel sensor.

/ RTV 500 Won't Fire - Need Input #8  
I can't send you the code page but you can get the complete service manual from Kubota service manual vault.com for around 10 bucks in a PDF format instantly it's about 325 pages. So that way you can diagnose the code and the part that could be the problem. Burn the PDF to a DVD and you'll have a good copy. Print the pages you need. Good luck
I have the same problem it will turn over but wont start I got new relays newfuses new ignition coil and there’s still no spark will it be the same problem with the crankshaft

/ RTV 500 Won't Fire - Need Input #9  
My guess is fuel starvation. Possibly clogged filter, old or bad gas or bad fuel pump. Tank may need cleaning if bad gas.
How does bad fuel or lack of fuel make it NOT have spark???

SR