Rubber Pedal Covers on BX25D

/ Rubber Pedal Covers on BX25D #1  

homey53

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota RTV 900, 2016 Kubota BX25 DBL
I'm sure this has been discussed before (?) , but I have a BX25 that I bought used back in March. I'm having a problem keeping the rubber pedal covers on the treadle pedal "REVERSE" side, and the little circular parking brake pedal cover. I just had to re-order the parking brake cover because it must have fallen off during mowing, and I took the reverse off because I've come near losing it several times. I was thinking of using a clear silicone RTV to hold them on better, but thought I'd check here to see if there's a better product? Thanks for any help.

/ Rubber Pedal Covers on BX25D #2  
Mine had the slightest little bumps - tangs - on metal edges, seem to grip in rubber 'slot'.
That warranted a plier squeeze to set the tangs into rubber.

/ Rubber Pedal Covers on BX25D
Mine had the slightest little bumps - tangs - on metal edges, seem to grip in rubber 'slot'.
That warranted a plier squeeze to set the tangs into rubber.
I'll have to look closer. I probably have the same on mine? Hopefully, that's all it'll take. Thanks for your help.

/ Rubber Pedal Covers on BX25D #4  
I changed lots of these over the years and if you get the old glue 100% off, mine stick without glue. I have used glue and used the 3M super spray 90 adhesive** on both the inside of the pad and metal pedal and put it on on a hot day when the rubber flexed and sealed better. Get the pad fully on and I can't imagine it coming off without help. A thicker glue might not allow the pad to fully contact the pedal.

If you don't get the edges on right it will come off easily.

**This is a commonly used spray adhesive. If you need exact name or pic of can, let me know.

I changed lots of these over the years and if you get the old glue 100% off, mine stick without glue. I have used glue and used the 3M super spray 90 adhesive** on both the inside of the pad and metal pedal and put it on on a hot day when the rubber flexed and sealed better. Get the pad fully on and I can't imagine it coming off without help. A thicker glue might not allow the pad to fully contact the pedal.

If you don't get the edges on right it will come off easily.

**This is a commonly used spray adhesive. If you need exact name or pic of can, let me know.
Thank you for your help. I found the 3M product that you mentioned, on line. I will try that one. I'm not sure if my heel is catching the reverse pedal, just right or what? I have made sure it's seated in the groove, each time I re-attach it, and after some use, it's worked its way off. Hopefully the 3M product will give it enough "tack" to hold.

/ Rubber Pedal Covers on BX25D #6  
My guess is that your heel is catching it and/or you aren't getting it fully into the correct position. I put mine on and then squeeze the pad and it's edges like a stress ball.

My guess is that your heel is catching it and/or you aren't getting it fully into the correct position. I put mine on and then squeeze the pad and it's edges like a stress ball.
I think it is my heel that's causing the problem, also. I've had my right knee replaced, and for some reason, this treadle pedal feels awkward for me. I'm just going to have to be more conscious of it, but I think I will try a little of that 3M Super Spray 90 adhesive that you mentioned earlier. Thanks

/ Rubber Pedal Covers on BX25D #8  
I think it is my heel that's causing the problem, also. I've had my right knee replaced, and for some reason, this treadle pedal feels awkward for me. I'm just going to have to be more conscious of it, but I think I will try a little of that 3M Super Spray 90 adhesive that you mentioned earlier. Thanks
The 3M adhesive isn't a 100% solution and you already proven that by being able to knock off both OEM covers, presumably with foot dragging action. 3M is likely a better solution but you'll still have to be more careful with your foot. I had a similar problem--knee-- and was able to make things better with the adhesive and not dragging against the pedal.

What I do is remove the old pad and get off as much old glue off the metal as I can. Then I spray coat both the metal and pad as instructions instruct. I try to do this on a hot day so the rubber is more flexible.

After the glue has "tacked" I put the pedal on, make sure the under edges are correctly wrapped around the metal and then squeeze the pad on the pedal and form fit it. I leave the tractor in the hot sun for a while and don't use the tractor for a day or so. Then I use it and be careful and after a small learning curve have not had any pedal pads come off.

I did stop/slow dragging my foot, however since I don't think any glue would hold against foot dragging over the. edge on a regular basis. I suppose you could epoxy the pedal pad on but would never get the pad or epoxy off again. Good luck and update if you can.

Last edited:
The 3M adhesive isn't a 100% solution and you already proven that by being able to knock off both OEM covers, presumably with foot dragging action. 3M is likely a better solution but you'll still have to be more careful with your foot. I had a similar problem--knee-- and was able to make things better with the adhesive and not dragging against the pedal.

What I do is remove the old pad and get off as much old glue off the metal as I can. Then I spray coat both the metal and pad as instructions instruct. I try to do this on a hot day so the rubber is more flexible.

After the glue has "tacked" I put the pedal on, make sure the under edges are correctly wrapped around the metal and then squeeze the pad on the pedal and form fit it. I leave the tractor in the hot sun for a while and don't use the tractor for a day or so. Then I use it and be careful and after a small learning curve have not had any pedal pads come off.

I did stop/slow dragging my foot, however since I don't think any glue would hold against foot dragging over the. edge on a regular basis. I suppose you could epoxy the pedal pad on but would never get the pad or epoxy off again. Good luck and update if you can.
Thanks for your help. I appreciate that.