Rust on Bobcat CT230

/ Rust on Bobcat CT230 #21  
I took another look and certainly agree with those who have pointed out the battery compartment issue. The white deposits are not normal and perhaps the rusted area is related to acid fumes. I cannot tell where the first panel photo is from but if it is near the battery then that might explain the unusual rust at the seam as well.

Ask the dealer to take a look at the battery compartment photos.

Again, while I fully appreciate that a "new" tractor should be new, the black metal areas with scratches and surface rust are exactly what you would expect if you mounted a 3pt implement or hooked up something to the draw bar or lifted a load with the forks even one time and then let the tractor sit in rain for a while. It is really just cosmetic and par for the course. I wouldn't complain about those for fear that the dealer would get distracted from the more concerning battery compartment issue.

/ Rust on Bobcat CT230 #22  
Ken, the bandwagon would be one and the same for both of us. The problem is by the time the bandwagon gets around to you so you can hop on it, the money's already been made or people are already occupying the ground floor of the new company. The ship has already sailed..so to speak.

-Trout

Thanks, I thought it may have something to do with funerals in New Orleans and the band following the horse drawn wagon (hurst) Ken Sweet

/ Rust on Bobcat CT230 #23  
I noticed last year on my CT230 that it looked like the battery leaked at some point because I had the same issue as the pic showed, maybe not as bad but still had it. I washed it off real well and spray painted it and so far it has looked ok and I have not seen the issue again.

Mine had some little rust spots here and there when I bought it and it would have been nice to not have them but I bought it back when they had the really good programs running and for what I paid, I am satisfied with what I got.

/ Rust on Bobcat CT230 #24  
I agree, the battery compartment was the pic that concerned me the most.
Mine is an 09 and my battery compartment does not look anywhere close to as bad as that, and I have 160 hours on it

The same opinion here. I have seen that before, and it is very difficult to fix, you scrape and sand and put baking soda on it. and prime and paint. and it comes back.. that is the only one that bothers me. you probably have a crack in the battery, might check regulator voltage at high rpm. That was what my problem. was.. the voltage was 17V at high rpm caused 2 batterys to crack and leak before I figured out what was wrong. the rest is minor cosmetic stuff. easily fixed.

James K0UA

/ Rust on Bobcat CT230 #25  
try POR-15 on that battery tray. It'll stop the rust.

/ Rust on Bobcat CT230 #26  
For a tractor with 2 hours on it something is very wrong here. Was the tractor sitting on lot for a year or so? Woops, just re-read op and saw that tractor was a 2009, been out in weather for two years, but what location, along salted road?
DevilDog

/ Rust on Bobcat CT230 #27  
For a tractor with 2 hours on it something is very wrong here. Was the tractor sitting on lot for a year or so? Woops, just re-read op and saw that tractor was a 2009, been out in weather for two years, but what location, along salted road?
DevilDog

I am with you on that. I started a post back in the summer about how CUT owners don't hold the manufacturers and dealers to a very high standard. I Can't figure it out? Ken Sweet

/ Rust on Bobcat CT230 #28  
Every unit on a lot is a demo unit if the dealer is good.
You want a few hours on it to indicate people are interested.
You don't want a lot of hours on it to show that people will try it, but not buy it.

/ Rust on Bobcat CT230 #29  
It just seems that rust shows up more on a white machine. The one negative to a white machine or vehicle.

/ Rust on Bobcat CT230 #30  
I think the newer paint jobs on ALL tractors is inferior due to the EPA forcing them to use a more environmentally friendly paint that just isn't as durable as the old fashioned oil-based enamels.